" BIO II, Orogo I and Phy(cal) II plus an ART" too much?

vincikai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
I am taking BIO II, Orogo I and Phy(cal) II plus an ART(studio) courses at Binghamton this fall. Is it too much??
My BioChem adviser told me its fine, durable…but every premed and school general adviser told me I will suicide soon.
:eek:

tell me the truth!!!

lynn623la

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
vincikai said:
I am taking BIO II, Orogo I and Phy(cal) II plus an ART courses at Binghamton this fall. Is it too much??
My BioChem adviser told me its fine, durable…but every premed and general adviser told me I will suicide soon.
That is physics, right?

Well Organic could be fun. I liked it, but I think I'm a rare one. Just make sure you keep up with everything.

Bio II will probably get into a lot of Genetics and more of the mitosis/meiosis in detail.

Physics II. I haven't had that yet, so can't suggest or not.

Just plan on living at the library. If you keep up with it, you'll do fine. Just recite "I think I can I think I can" while memorizing rxns with Sodium Hydroxide.

OP
V

vincikai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
lynn623la said:
That is physics, right?

Well Organic could be fun. I liked it, but I think I'm a rare one. Just make sure you keep up with everything.

Bio II will probably get into a lot of Genetics and more of the mitosis/meiosis in detail.

Physics II. I haven't had that yet, so can't suggest or not.

Just plan on living at the library. If you keep up with it, you'll do fine. Just recite "I think I can I think I can" while memorizing rxns with Sodium Hydroxide.
O its actually Bio 117 but i assume everyone here didnt know bing reverse the Bio I and II's materials.

AmArIe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2003
MI
Visit site
Status
Podiatry Student
It’s doable I took physics II, Chem., A&P (my professor covers the whole book in 3 months) in the same semester all with lab. BUT you have to dedicate a lot of time to each class so if you know that you can do the time then do it.

chauliodus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well, as someone who took studio art classes in college, they can take more time than the bio and physics class combined, depending on whether your prof is one that likes to assign things like "Make 2 teapots, and 6 vases by next week" "Oh and by the way, you have the check the kiln over the weekend and make a set of teacups too." The art classes were always more time intensive than pretty much any other course.

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
vincikai said:
I am taking BIO II, Orogo I and Phy(cal) II plus an ART(studio) courses at Binghamton this fall. Is it too much??
My BioChem adviser told me its fine, durable…but every premed and school general adviser told me I will suicide soon.

tell me the truth!!!
that's 4 classes, which seems about average for a semester, if not less than average

are you taking an MCAT class also?

silas2642

silas2642
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's definitely doable, although you probably won't have that much spare time. I don't know about your school, but at ours organic lab was 4 hours per week and Bio II lab along with Physics II lab were 2 hours each. That's a lot of lab, plus exams, plus homework could equal not so much fun. Just try to make sure you don't get burned out too badly this semester.

If you did really well in these classes first semester, if everything was a breeze, then go for it. if you struggled with first semester, then I wouldn't suggest it.

LauraPaz

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
St. Louis
laurapaz.livejournal.com
Status
Medical Student
vincikai said:

tell me the truth!!!
Totally do-able. I took 21 hours one semester, 18 of which were higher-level (i.e. 300-level) science classes. And I still managed a 3.8 for that semester. You just need to budget your time wisely.

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah those classes are easily doable...every biochem major has to do it

I took genetics, physics 2, and orgo 2 all in the same semester, and since my college is so small i had genetics lab, physics lab and orgo lab back to back to back

9 straight hours of lab...man thursdays were so fun lol

i survived, you will too

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
At the Beach!!
Visit site
Status
That was schedule sophmore year....Its definately doable but it takes a lot of discipline and time management

I think I had the worst luck with tests that year...All my exams (cell biology, organic and physics) would fall on the same day for those classes...And my classes were back to back...So it would be three heavy science exams back to back. Plus I had back to back labs...Our labs are an three and half hours, so it was seven hours of lab plus class in the morning....The life of a biochem major

Seems like I can't get rid of back to back labs...This past year I had biochem lab and analytical lab (Good thing they were in the same lab room) and then I had a night class....I hated Tuesdays!

Well good luck on your schedule for next year! I've always had three sciences (each with lab) and a humanities class, so its definately doable! Just pace yourself and focus when your studying...Sometimes you will even find overlapping trends

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
Let me tell you about my semesters:

Spring 06: Biochem, Cell Physiology (hard!), Physics II, PhysicsLab II, Philosophy of Medicine, and Abnormal Psychology. EASY.
I don't know what happened, but it's been my easiest/funnest semester so far. Straight A's in all. Great classes.

Fall 05: Genetics, Genetics Lab, Ochem Lab, Ochem II, Physics I and Physics I Lab, plus World Religions. ---DOABLE. Back to back tests usually, I never had a single week w/o a freakin' test, but I got A's in all except Ochem II.

Spring 05: Bio II, BioLab II, Calculus II, Ochem I, Chemistry Lab (3-credit hour lab, so ~7 hours a week), British Literature, and Volleyball. DOABLE
Also, a test every week, and labs almost every day, I practically lived in the science building. However, I did well in all my classes.

I don't know what the big deal is, people get scared with anything above 2 sciences/labs a semester. It's completely doable.
I also had a job during those semesters and volunteered, etc. NO BIG DEAL.

I think if you show you can handle big loads at once you can prove to yourself/adcoms that you can handle medical school work loads.
:love:

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
baylormed said:
Let me tell you about my semesters:

Spring 06: Biochem, Cell Physiology (hard!), Physics II, PhysicsLab II, Philosophy of Medicine, and Abnormal Psychology. EASY.
I don't know what happened, but it's been my easiest/funnest semester so far. Straight A's in all. Great classes.

Fall 05: Genetics, Genetics Lab, Ochem Lab, Ochem II, Physics I and Physics I Lab, plus World Religions. ---DOABLE. Back to back tests usually, I never had a single week w/o a freakin' test, but I got A's in all except Ochem II.

Spring 05: Bio II, BioLab II, Calculus II, Ochem I, Chemistry Lab (3-credit hour lab, so ~7 hours a week), British Literature, and Volleyball. DOABLE
Also, a test every week, and labs almost every day, I practically lived in the science building. However, I did well in all my classes.

I don't know what the big deal is, people get scared with anything above 2 sciences/labs a semester. It's completely doable.
I also had a job during those semesters and volunteered, etc. NO BIG DEAL.

I think if you show you can handle big loads at once you can prove to yourself/adcoms that you can handle medical school work loads.
:love:
I wish our school has religion courses...i wanna take a worlds religion class

yeah this past year i took three chemistrys (physical, analytical and biochem) and even teachers were surprised...its really not bad at all

bruinboy88

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
you guys are all ****ing crazy. I'm not taking more than two premed prereqs each quarter cause it gets ****ing hard. unless ur bioeng or something insane, don't kill urself with that load (im assuming uve been a premed since fresh year and have planned ur **** out). whatever u do, keep ur gpa as HIGH as possible. med schools wont care about how many reqs uve taken in a semester, but they WILL care about ur grades in them. remember that before enrolling

*ok sorry i just realized ur biochem. good luck :D

aung

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2005
Queens, NYC
Status
HEY! Binghamton graduate here. I went through the the first semester of sophmore year with Organic Chemistry I, Calc Based Physics I, Organic Chemistry Lab, Microbiology (!!!), and Theater 101. Let me tell you, it's definitely doable if you're willing to go through the immense amount of work. The class that gave me the most stress was calc based physics. I had at least 2 test(s)/quiz(zes) every week. Microbiology was the class where everything took its toll and I did poorly in the class. However, despite that, I still managed to make the Dean's List. Good luck.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
I'm doing the same thing as you, only instead of an Art, I'm doing an Honors course in the music field, and I'm also taking Orgo lab. 15 credits ;)

quanct

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status
bruinboy88 said:
you guys are all ****ing crazy. I'm not taking more than two premed prereqs each quarter cause it gets ****ing hard. unless ur bioeng or something insane, don't kill urself with that load (im assuming uve been a premed since fresh year and have planned ur **** out). whatever u do, keep ur gpa as HIGH as possible. med schools wont care about how many reqs uve taken in a semester, but they WILL care about ur grades in them. remember that before enrolling

From the '88' in your sn, I'm assuming you're ~18 yrs old? How did you find SDN so soon?!

jocg27

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
bruinboy88 said:

agreed....There have been lots of "do-able" answers...Sure, it's doable, you could probably add something else and still pass them all if you work hard...Doesn't make it the greatest idea though. Those are three hard classes. Which one is hardest for you depends individually, but for me personally, physics II almost kicked my ass, just because I hate physics. By the end of the term everything was all right and I did fine, but I sure am glad it wasn't at the same time as orgo and an advanced bio...

ParvatiP

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
NY
Status
Medical Student
I'll be taking 3 science courses this semester (2 advanced chem, intro bio) and spanish. It'll be hard, I'm sure (only 2 labs though), but I think I'll make it through. It's nice to have a non-science class in there to break things up a bit. Good luck to you!

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
quanct said:
From the '88' in your sn, I'm assuming you're ~18 yrs old? How did you find SDN so soon?!
I'm 18 too, and I found it on Google :eek:

DrZaius

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
California
Status
Non-Student
Yes, it's doable. If you were an engineering major (chemical or bio) you'd be facing the same thing. There are a lot of them, and they do it.

Of course it will probably be one of the harder terms in your career. Study hard, do well. Whatever you're weak in (most people here seem to have trouble with physics) find a study buddy to help you through :)

Of course, get into the habit of being friendly with your teachers, too. Many people think that if they know you, they'll cut you some slack (89.4-> A- instead of B+). Personally, I think it's more valuable than that. When you develop some kind of relationship with a teacher, their role is to guide you, and your role is to learn. You may feel that if you doo poorly it's like betraying a friend. I think that when you know your teacher, you are motivated to do well, and that's why I think it's important.

ccain1

He's good!
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
vincikai said:

tell me the truth!!!

I had Ochem 1, Anatomy ad Physiology, Physics 2, and Genetics in one semester, in addition to working full time and staying sane. I was fortunate to get A's in all the classes. It realy does depend on how ambitious you are as a student and how organized you are. As much as we all would like to trust the people that give us advice 100% of the time, we should remember that they are only offering a perspective and not a directive. You can do it! Good luck.

GinGinChicken

I like chicken!
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Medical Student
chauliodus said:
Well, as someone who took studio art classes in college, they can take more time than the bio and physics class combined, depending on whether your prof is one that likes to assign things like "Make 2 teapots, and 6 vases by next week" "Oh and by the way, you have the check the kiln over the weekend and make a set of teacups too." The art classes were always more time intensive than pretty much any other course.
I totally agree! No one else on this forum is really addressing the issue that this person's 4th class is a studio art. I would MUCH rather take a spanish/history/whatever class with 3 lab sciences than a studio art.

Trust me, if your art class is a typical studio art course, it's going to take up a boat load of time. This past semester I took orgo 2, bio 2, and physics 2 and I can't even fathom adding an art to that. Any other class, sure, but not something so time intensive.

OP
V

vincikai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
GinGinChicken said:
I totally agree! No one else on this forum is really addressing the issue that this person's 4th class is a studio art. I would MUCH rather take a spanish/history/whatever class with 3 lab sciences than a studio art.

Trust me, if your art class is a typical studio art course, it's going to take up a boat load of time. This past semester I took orgo 2, bio 2, and physics 2 and I can't even fathom adding an art to that. Any other class, sure, but not something so time intensive.
really? even if i can draw/paint beter and faster than most of the porfs? :sleep: Thanks for the concern but I think I will be fine in the studio class :]
Unless there is more to it than just getting the job done o_O in this case I should start to worry !!!

Attachments

BigRedPremed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
Ironically, the semester I took biochem, orgo, and physics together was my best semester GPA-wise.