Bio or Chem major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirtysocks45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm much better at math and physics than I am at classes like history where you have to memorize a whole bunch of things. Thus, I think I would be better at chemistry than biology. However, will I still in general have to be good at memorizing a whole bunch of stuff in chemistry? If so, how would I get good at that?

Members don't see this ad.

Which interests you more? Which would you "rather study for?" Which subject's lecture would you rather sit through...

Members don't see this ad :)
You might consider neither. You can major in anything. I chose Comparative Religion, for example. Any academic major + prereqs + a few extra UD science courses (e.g. Genetics, Biochemistry, Cell Biology) should be great! Enjoy!

I actually really like math and science classes the best. My favorite ones are physics and chemistry. I guess chemistry would be the best choice then.

Because when your main goal is getting A's, you might think twice before taking upper level Electromagnetism.

That's not too bad. Just some integrals here and there.

I'm much better at math and physics than I am at classes like history where you have to memorize a whole bunch of things. Thus, I think I would be better at chemistry than biology. However, will I still in general have to be good at memorizing a whole bunch of stuff in chemistry? If so, how would I get good at that?

If OP claims he's really good in math and physics, he will probably do well if he majors in either of these subjects (or double major).

Because when your main goal is getting A's, you might think twice before taking upper level Electromagnetism.

I've never taken upper level Electromagnetism so my knowledge is limited but Physical Chem and Biochem are no walk in the park either. At least at my school, they are brutal and notorious for dropping people out of the Chemistry major. PChem especially, that is definitely the most difficult science class taught by the school hands down and PChem is a requirement of the Chem department not the physics department. (at least at my school)

But of course, it may vary across schools. It ultimately depends on the requirements. But if OP is looking for something that is more mathematics based then I think Physics or just plain math, would be better. Ideally, OP should pick the subject they enjoy the most.

I'm a Biology Major and it was pretty easy choosing it over Chemistry. Mainly because Chemistry isn't nearly as related to medicine as Biology. Now if you were a prepharm student then it would be a different.

I would say chemistry seems better for you since you're more into math and such. But in the end it's about which one you find more interesting. Both majors are fine for a pre-med student, so it really doesn't matter. I'd suggest taking a bio and chem class and then picking which one you liked better.

neither choose a major that you would enjoy if you did not make it into medical school

The best major for medical school has the following characteristics:

1 - You are passionately interested in the course material.

2 - Not so crazy-difficult that you can not perform well in the classes.

(These should result in a high GPA which is absolutely necessary, and strong letters of recommendation from your professors.)

3 - A major that will lead to a good 'Plan B' in the event you change your mind or do not get into medical school.

4 - All other things being equal, 'generic biology' is less distinctive than many other majors and is not so great for #3 above.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Biology Major and it was pretty easy choosing it over Chemistry. Mainly because Chemistry isn't nearly as related to medicine as Biology. Now if you were a prepharm student then it would be a different.

Basic principles from biology come from chemistry. I actually had this same predicament, but I have always been more inclined towards chemistry and physics. Personally, I could spend hours doing reactions or working on physics problems versus staring at pictures and memorizing processes in biology. I chose to major in chemistry and minor in physics. Also, if I were to get a biology degree and not get in medical school, then I would be stuck with a degree that I would not want to work with. Plus medical school is enough biology.

Haven't gotten to P-Chem yet though but we'll see.

Answer is simple just major in Biochemistry silly.

Here's a better idea: let's do completely the opposite of what you just said. Don't major in something that will be useful in medical school. Major in something that is:

1. Interesting and you enjoy.
2. Will be useful in the alternate career goal.

Here's a better idea: let's do completely the opposite of what you just said. Don't major in something that will be useful in medical school. Major in something that is:

Biology can be used in many ways as an alternate career goal

:thumbup:

Basic principles from biology come from chemistry. I actually had this same predicament, but I have always been more inclined towards chemistry and physics. Personally, I could spend hours doing reactions or working on physics problems versus staring at pictures and memorizing processes in biology. I chose to major in chemistry and minor in physics. Also, if I were to get a biology degree and not get in medical school, then I would be stuck with a degree that I would not want to work with. Plus medical school is enough biology.

Haven't gotten to P-Chem yet though but we'll see.

I guess Biology is a personal preference for me. I never really likedchemistry because I couldn't relate it to human anatomy and physiology. Plus I wouldn't mind being a Biologist but MD is the ultimate goal.

Top things I would consider in picking a major:

1. Will it be useful if I DON'T go to medical school? (most pre-meds don't make it all the way through)
2. Will I enjoy it?
3. WIll I be able to do well enough to maintain a GPA that will get me into med school? (be realistic here, everyone did well in high school physics...)

Survivor DO

I didn't say biology isn't useful. I was disproving the traditional notion of choosing a major that will help you in medical school.

Dish washers are in demand :p

Facts are that the sciences have a poor outlook compared to other majors, such as finance, engineering or computer science. After a BA/BS in those fields, along with an appropriate internship and commiserate hardwork, you can land a relatively decent job (45k+) and work your way up reasonably well. Sciences? Not so much. The market for science grads is pretty dismal and just about the only good a biology/chem/physics degree does for you is put all the pre-reqs for professional school in an easy to follow package.

Sure you'll have that super-hot shot that landed a quant job at a Wall St firm after majoring in physics, just like you know that one kid from your high school who was an absolute stud and ended up in the NBA. Don't count on that guy being you and if you are that guy, you aren't posting on this board wondering whether or not you should pursue this or that degree.

I was trying to decide between Bio, Chem, and Psych. I'm not super into math, so I was hesitant about choosing a math-heavy major. But yet, I decided on Chemistry. I have a few reasons:

1) I think it's really interesting, especially organic chem and biochem. There is a large focus on drug design and interactions at my school, and I found that fascinating. Our bio program is much more plant focused, so chemistry is really more closely related to medicine here.

2) I feel more challenged in my chem classes than any others, but not so challenged that I can't do well in the courses. They are definitely hard work -- I find that a rewarding aspect of getting a good education. I want to build a work ethic and get used to challenging material. That was really important to me, even though I tried to rationalize that attitude away ("you might get higher grades in bio/psych!" or "more work means more stress!"). I just couldn't shake the necessity to surround myself with something that wasn't naturally easy for me.

3) Kind of related to 2, but I feel proud of being a chem major. When I was still unsure, I pretended to have made my choice, and spent a week telling people I was a chem major and another week telling people I was a psych major and another week telling people I was a bio major. I felt a lot more happy and confident and proud of myself when I told people I was chem, and felt kind of generic and ashamed when I told people I was bio or chem (even though both are great majors, not saying anything against them! But they are huge majors in my school, known for being kind of easy). It wasn't what other people thought of my major, it was what I thought and felt about it. I think that, at the end of the day, this was the biggest factor in my decision.

Good luck OP!