Bio Q: Function of liver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needzmoar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What role does the liver play in the destruction of worn-out red blood cells? Is this not the function of the spleen?

edit: Kupffer cells of liver will phagocytize damaged/worn-out liver cells

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yezzur. Kupffer cells break down heme, which in turn you'd get bilirubin. Another type of cell you might wanna know is liver in the stellate cells. They're located in the space of Disse and are involved in vitamin A storage and they're antigen presenting cells. Also they spit out collagen when you drink too much, causing fibrosis.

Oh and here's another thing if you already don't know, the road to eff up your liver by alcohol:

Fibrosis -> Necrosis -> Cirrosis (irriversable)

What role does the liver play in the destruction of worn-out red blood cells? Is this not the function of the spleen?

edit: Kupffer cells of liver will phagocytize damaged/worn-out liver cells

the spleen recycles the iron and the rest is sent to the liver? is that right?

Yezzur. Kupffer cells break down heme, which in turn you'd get bilirubin. Another type of cell you might wanna know is liver in the stellate cells. They're located in the space of Disse and are involved in vitamin A storage and they're antigen presenting cells. Also they spit out collagen when you drink too much, causing fibrosis.

Oh and here's another thing if you already don't know, the road to eff up your liver by alcohol:

30 on bio!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
the spleen recycles the iron and the rest is sent to the liver? is that right?

The red pulp of the spleen has cluster of macrophages that remove old or damaged RBCs from circulation. Now I'm not sure if it recycles the heme and sends the rest to the liver? I'm not sure! But it would kinda make sense. Because normally when hemoglobin is broken down by macrophages, the iron is recycled and sent to the liver and the spleen which eventually send it to the bone marrow. And unconjugated bilirubin is carried by albumin to liver to become conjugated (after conjugation it becomes water soluble and it can travel through blood without the need of a carrier. Bilirubin turns into Urobilinogen in small intestine which eventually turns into stercobilin before excretion via feces.)

Yooooooo dude. Are you making stuff up?

Are you sure you want to be a dentist and not a bio teacher or researcher or something?

Will you take the bio section for me?

Please don't tell me this is how deep DAT goes in.

No.....right....?

I believe 90% of bio questions are straight forward and the other 10% are detailed questions including some that you read the question and just say WTF. That's DAT bio!