1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Bio Q: Function of liver

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by needzmoar, Aug 12, 2011.

  1. needzmoar

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2011
    Messages:
    250
    Likes Received:
    0
    What role does the liver play in the destruction of worn-out red blood cells? Is this not the function of the spleen?


    edit: Kupffer cells of liver will phagocytize damaged/worn-out liver cells
     
    #1 needzmoar, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. PooyaH

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Messages:
    804
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    Yezzur. Kupffer cells break down heme, which in turn you'd get bilirubin. Another type of cell you might wanna know is liver in the stellate cells. They're located in the space of Disse and are involved in vitamin A storage and they're antigen presenting cells. Also they spit out collagen when you drink too much, causing fibrosis.

    Oh and here's another thing if you already don't know, the road to eff up your liver by alcohol:

    Fibrosis -> Necrosis -> Cirrosis (irriversable)
     
  4. lilpucal0v3r

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental

    the spleen recycles the iron and the rest is sent to the liver? is that right?
     
  5. mh0000

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2011
    Messages:
    181
    Likes Received:
    0

    30 on bio!!! :D
     
  6. PooyaH

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Messages:
    804
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    The red pulp of the spleen has cluster of macrophages that remove old or damaged RBCs from circulation. Now I'm not sure if it recycles the heme and sends the rest to the liver? I'm not sure! But it would kinda make sense. Because normally when hemoglobin is broken down by macrophages, the iron is recycled and sent to the liver and the spleen which eventually send it to the bone marrow. And unconjugated bilirubin is carried by albumin to liver to become conjugated (after conjugation it becomes water soluble and it can travel through blood without the need of a carrier. Bilirubin turns into Urobilinogen in small intestine which eventually turns into stercobilin before excretion via feces.)
     
  7. PooyaH

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Messages:
    804
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    hahaha oh boy.


    p.s. if I don't do well in bio, I know who to blame! lol
     
  8. needzmoar

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2011
    Messages:
    250
    Likes Received:
    0
    lol. thanks for the response
     
  9. LetsGo2DSchool

    Removed 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1,191
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    Yooooooo dude. Are you making stuff up?

    Are you sure you want to be a dentist and not a bio teacher or researcher or something?

    Will you take the bio section for me?
     
  10. PooyaH

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Messages:
    804
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    Only if you take the RC for me!
     
  11. santa2392

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2009
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Dental Student
    Please don't tell me this is how deep DAT goes in.

    No.....right....?
     
  12. PooyaH

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2008
    Messages:
    804
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Dental
    I believe 90% of bio questions are straight forward and the other 10% are detailed questions including some that you read the question and just say WTF. That's DAT bio!
     

Share This Page