Bio Section Improvement/Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrastio24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took Kaplan Practice Test #1 (as sort of a diagnostic) and I completely bombed the biology section (I got a 5). The passages were sooo difficult in my opinion- they were all like experiments out of scientific papers. I could barely get through them let alone answer questions. I kind of gave up halfway through when I realized even after reading the passage several times carefully, I still couldn't answer the questions. Do you guys have any tips on improving in the biology section? Would reading lots of scientific papers help?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you done content review? Most people read books from Kaplan, EK, Princeton or BR.

You got a 5 because your content knowledge is not there.

Usually a 10 says you've got good content review but need to improve test taking skills.

I too got a 5 on Biol when I first started but now i'm at a 10.

This is what worked for me...

I am following the SN2 plan, and finished up my bio content review last week. I still felt I didn't know everything as well as I should have, so I went to the beginning of EK Biology book and started over. I went through the entire book (much faster this time) and made tons of flash cards. I'd say I made roughly 300 cards covering nearly every major point in the book.

The act of simply writing down what you're learning helps recollection tremendously. I also now have the most important facts available to study over and over and over...further drilling it into my brain. Give it a try, I think you'll be pleased.