Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

Bio section is soo hard

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by exigente chica, Nov 30, 2002.

1. exigente chica

Is it me or is the bio section, super hard. I thought that this was the area that I would be the best in. Nope, I am doing well in verbal and physical sciences. Does ne else feel like this or is it just me?
    :confused:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. no its not just u, i took the diagnostic TPR, and i guessed on all my bio questions cos it was so boring, i got a 6, so i am just going to improve my guessing skills :)

4. solid snake

solid snake Senior Member

Yeah, I'm was the same way. Some of the Bio passages I had no clue but I educated guess on some of them. I ended up with 6's in all my practices. The Phys. sciece is the hardest part for me. That's the section I need to improve on most definitely. Just ordered Ek Phys and Chem though. I hope it will help.

exigente chica, what are you using to study?

solid snake

5. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios

What practice materials are you using? If its Kaplan, the bio is about the same difficulty. If its PR, supposedly (I dont know from experience) its harder than the real MCAT).

6. exigente chica

Hey hun, long time..taking the TPR..and u?

7. solid snake

hey exigente chica,

Can't afford a prep class but using Kaplan's Big Red Book and EK Physics and Chem. review book.

I sent you a PM on something.

solid snake

8. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios

If you are taking the TPR course, the bio is supposedly much harder than the real MCAT, so I wouldnt worry too much.

9. dogirl

dogirl Member

Not to scare you, but don't think that tpr is much harder than the mcat b/c from my august experience tpr was right on. The genetics sections especially were challenging on the mcat and those are hard to find in any practice material. If molecular genetics is a weakness I would definitely start studying it. I had 4 passages on the real exam on this topic.

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Senior Member

The Bio section on the mcat is hard in the beginning...

I was getting really low scores when I first started preparing with Kaplan, and my bio gpa is a 4.0. Anyways, you need to learn to look at a tricky passage and see how it is very basic, but it just appears complex to intimidate you.

I recommend studying the Kaplan Bio book intensely and then practicing bio passages...TPR has a great book of practice bio passages. I ended up scoring really well in this section after putting the time in.

Good Luck!

11. dEEpEyEs

dEEpEyEs Banned
    Banned

Dreamin'
    What is TPR? I've never heard of it before.

Thanks.
    DE

12. the princeton review

13. solid snake

Is anybody here using EK? I was just wondering if their material covered or how they cover it is any better than Kaplan's or TPR or any other?

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Senior Member

I used the EK verbal book and it was the closest thing that I have seen to MCAT verbal passages...I definitely reccommend it! Also, I listened to the MCAT Audio Osmosis CD's and they were amazing...I had about an hour drive to work in the summer and so the CD's were very useful...they make tough concepts seem easy. I think I even listened to them as I went to sleep each night...what a nerd!

15. raincrew

raincrew Senior Member

Agreed. Though I am a bio major and have done a significant amount of research, I've always had the most trouble on this section. I guess the key for the bio section is to realize that it is reading comprehension rather than science oriented. Try getting the EK 101 passages Bio book when it comes out around January.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. closertofine

closertofine Emerging from hibernation

Medical Student
    For me, the physical sciences are many times harder than the biological...but I'm a bio major and have taken a lot of the upper level courses offered at my school. I do wonder (when reading the questions) how someone who hasn't had the coursework I have would be able to answer the questions.

But I'm most worried about gen chem and physics...since I haven't had them since high school (AP's)! I had gen chem in 10th grade, and physics in 11th...and I don't feel I even learned physics well at the time...so I have a LOT of reviewing to do!

One other suggestion for study materials...although it's not directly aimed toward the MCAT, the REA AP Bio review book seems to cover much of the material...I haven't heard this mentioned before...but for a general review, it might work well.

:)

18. gonflable

gonflable Member

I can only comment on the April 2002 MCAT, but I would say that Kaplan's book covers topics adequately. While reading the book (2-3 times), when you encounter a topic that you can't elaborate a little further than what's in the review, I suggest you look it up and read some highlights. For me, all three sections were equally difficult. If you took cell/molecular bio and/or genetics, and then read the Kaplan section, you should be okay with at least that part. The absolute most important thing to do is to take ALL of the available practice tests. 40, 50 bucks is a lot cheaper than taking the courses or repeating the MCAT. When you miss questions, go back and research why you missed EVERY one of them. Even go out and buy the "crappy-looking" books, as they have test material in them. Remember that often one or two questions really can make a difference If you flubb the MCAT the first time it's not the end of the world, but face it, it would be much better to take it only once. This philosophy worked great for me- I ended up with a 13-13-14-R.

19. Bostonienses

Bostonienses Tripping on lactic acid

Damn, that's a good score!:clap:
    What I have noticed in the one month that I have been studying for the April MCAT is that sometimes knowledge of a subject doesn't help. Also, if you know tons of bio because you have taken several classes, sometimes you don't read the passages as carefully and tend to answer the questions based on what you already know rather than based on the passage. My advice: practice practice practice. Whoever said that practicing the questions is the way to go was ABSOLUTELY right. I did some practice problems in chem, and even though I suck at chem I did better than in bio because I was more careful about it.
    Also, be aware that the MCAT people will do stuff to throw you off. Like, for orgo they will have these huge compunds with one little hydroxyl group, which is really all that reacts. Make sure that what you are answering is based on the passage, and not previous knowledge, and try to figure out if they are giving you stuff just to scare you. Throw their little tricks right back at them, the bastards!;)