Bio: which is heterotroph, autotroph?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dencology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
27. In which of these kingdoms are the organisms entirely heterotrophic?

A. Protista and Fungi
B. Plantae and Fungi
C. Animalia and Fungi
D. Protista and Animalia
E. Monera and Protista

I am not sure b/w A and D?

40. A deciduous forest biome differs from that of the grassland biome in that the forest biome receives more
A. sunlight
B. CO2 for photosynthesis
C. fixed nitrogen from the soil
D. moisture
E. ultraviolet light

What is responsible for the primary structure of the protein?

A. H bonding
B. The sequence of RNA being translated
C. The order of the peptide bonding

Members don't see this ad.

There are protists, such as algae that are autotrophic, yeah, that can be a tricky one, I don't see why D is the correct answer. C seems like the only correct answer.

Not sure about the second one, but the third one I'm pretty sure is that it's based on the Peptide Bonding.

Hope that helps, good luck!

A. Protista and Fungi
B. Plantae and Fungi
C. Animalia and Fungi
D. Protista and Animalia
E. Monera and Protista

40. A deciduous forest biome differs from that of the grassland biome in that the forest biome receives more
A. sunlight
D. moisture
E. ultraviolet light

A. H bonding

For the first one
The possible answers are: Animalia, Fungi and Protista...

Techincally, there are some fungi and protista that are autotrophic so that would make Animalia the only right answer
Not sure exactly why the answer is D..

For the second one
Think of grasslands an area behind the mountains in the western coast of USA... they dont receive a lot of water because of the rainshadow effect, so they only grow grasses

Members don't see this ad :)
most of the Fungi are heterotrophs and only limited number of them are autotrophs so, we can disregard them. Animalia is in the category of heterotrophs. so we can include Animalia with Fungi to be the answer to this question. Correct me if i am wrong.

There are protists, such as algae that are autotrophic, yeah, that can be a tricky one, I don't see why D is the correct answer. C seems like the only correct answer.

Not sure about the second one, but the third one I'm pretty sure is that it's based on the Peptide Bonding.

Hope that helps, good luck!

what about H bonding. it is between peptide bonds and in the medium as well. check the link below and go to where it says "forces controling protein structure". it is pretty clear that it would be H bonding and not peptide. but again i am not sure. lets get this down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_structure

Last edited:

A. Protista and Fungi
B. Plantae and Fungi
C. Animalia and Fungi
D. Protista and Animalia
E. Monera and Protista

A. sunlight
D. moisture
E. ultraviolet light

A. H bonding

If i were taking the test and saw these Questions, i would pick C for the first, because Euglenazoa<-think i spelled that wrong, are autotrophs. I would completely guess on the second one or i would skip it and go back for it later, or somehting. The last one is bull. This is a tricky one. i would choose B, and this is why. One, the primary structure is yes the order of the peptide bonding. Two, the peptides dont just bond together randomly in a big bonding orgy. Thirdly, the question states what is responsible, now the ur inherited genetic information is responsible for the order of the peptide bonding which makes the primary structure. The primamry structure is the Peptide sequence, but what is responsible for this peptide sequence? Ur genetic info. Stupid question if you ask me. :cool:

You're right sub, it is an odd question, seems to me that the peptide sequence clearly is derived from the order of mRNA translated, so either answer should work.

Den, here's something from a wiki page linked from the one you linked,
Page: Secondary Structure - "Secondary structure is formally defined by the hydrogen bonds of the biopolymer..." The H bonding is really what makes the helixes and beta-sheets, so it's definitely not A.

Hope that helps!

I don't know about the first two, but for the 3rd I would go with B also. Technically, the primary structure of a protein is its order of amino acid sequence, which is most directly determined by the RNA sequence that is being translated. The order of the peptide bonding, it would seem, would be a subsequent result of the RNA sequence that was translated. That's what makes the most sense to me. Granted, the wording for this question does make it confusing.

most of the Fungi are heterotrophs and only limited number of them are autotrophs so, we can disregard them. Animalia is in the category of heterotrophs. so we can include Animalia with Fungi to be the answer to this question. Correct me if i am wrong.

ALL fungi are heterotrophs. Answer is c.
Which fungi are autotrophic?

ALL fungi are heterotrophs. Answer is c.
Which fungi are autotrophic?

You are right, i can see why some of you are confused. There are some fungi out there that seem to be autotrophs when in reality they just share a symbiotic relationship with an autotrph or an autotrophic microorganism.