Biochem 2 or Medicinal Organic Chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

correcaminos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys think.

Next semester will be my last as an undergrad and I will have room to take one more science course (I am not a science major). I am stuck between taking 2nd semester of Biochem or Medicinal Organic Chem.

I am currently taking Biochem 1 (proteins, carbohydrates) and am learning a ton. However, I had the Med Chem professor for Organic Chem 1 and really enjoy her lecutre style.

What would you guys do? Do you think the Biochem 2 (lipids, nucleic acids) course would be more beneficial in terms of preparation for med school coursework? Maybe the Med Org Chem would be a great way to refresh for the organic section of the MCAT (next April)?

all opinions appreciated:D

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm....

I'd take the easier class, simply because if you get an acceptance, you will want to relax and enjoy college for all it's worth.

Hmm....

I'd take the easier class, simply because if you get an acceptance, you will want to relax and enjoy college for all it's worth.

or take the harder course (bio chem 2) and relax during the first year of medical school? +pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
or take the harder course (bio chem 2) and relax during the first year of medical school? +pity+

Nope, that logic gets you nowhere when you realize that you cover all of undergrade biochem in maybe... 2-3 weeks?

By the end of your first semester, people who weren't bio majors or took their pre-reqs a LONG time ago should be on equal footing with everyone else. In fact, I might say that taking a ****load of bio courses might be harmful if you think you can slack off. It might be repetitive, but when that new stuff hits you, you'll be saying "****, this is a lot!"

So I'd chill when you can. They'll be plenty of time to suffer later.

Nope, that logic gets you nowhere when you realize that you cover all of undergrade biochem in maybe... 2-3 weeks?

By the end of your first semester, people who weren't bio majors or took their pre-reqs a LONG time ago should be on equal footing with everyone else. In fact, I might say that taking a ****load of bio courses might be harmful if you think you can slack off. It might be repetitive, but when that new stuff hits you, you'll be saying "****, this is a lot!"

So I'd chill when you can. They'll be plenty of time to suffer later.

EXACTLY what he said. I was actually considering doing some anatomy reading this past summer to prepare for gross and I'm glad I didn't and just enjoyed the time off of school, 'cause it really wouldn't have made any difference at all. It's kind of like taking small drinks of water from a dixie cup when once you start they're gonna turn the fire hose on you.

I'd say if you were doing this stuff to fulfill degree requirements anyway, then sure, go ahead. But if it's optional, STAY AWAY! I know it's hard to just do the minimum after med school apps have trained you to go above and beyond for everything, but you like being lazy for a while.

I certainly am, though I should probably do this only after I get an acceptance. Reapplying after slacking will make me a sad panda....

i'm a first year right now...it doesn't matter what you take in undergrad...in med school we just do all of the pathways for metabolic processes...organic will not help you at all

Thanks a lot for the responses. What you guys are saying makes total sense, and I don't need either to fulfill a degree, so why suffer now...I see your logic.

So, if I forget about the motive of med school preparation, what do you guys think about taking one or the other, thinking primarily about the MCAT. I'll be taking it near the end of that semester, so I could take a potentially helpful class leading up to it...actually, thinking of it that way, biochem might be more of a burden eating into study time for the MCAT.

thanks again, I know it is not that big of a deal. Maybe I should just use those credits for a beginner's french course.

It's funny you asked that question becuase I was wondering the same thing. I'm only a sophomore now, but I will have room in my senior year for another science class. I was debating between biochem 2 and medicinal chem, but then found out that my school only offers medicinal chem in the fall and the slot in my schedule is in the spring. I think I would still take the biochem if I had the choice just because the medicinal chem at my school requires one to already have some knowledge of pharmacology and I haven't taken nor do I plan to take that class undergrad. But I wouldn't say one would be better than the other. Probably whatever interests you because it's not really going to matter in light of med school which one you take.

If I HAD to choose I would take Biochem 2. I took Biochem 1 and 2 during my undergrad and though I had an extremely tough professor, there were pretty interesting classes. I'm not really sure what all would be involved in medicinal chem., but I'd probably be willing to bet that Biochem 2 would help you more on the MCAT.