Biochem and Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unhappytnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to study for the MCAT next summer. I will have taken all the pre-reqs by then, however I read somewhere that taking Biochem and Physiology before sitting for the MCAT is helpful. Do you guys think that they really help and I should delay the MCAT to take those classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Physiology is extremely helpful depending on what was covered in your intro bio class. There's a lot of physiology on the MCAT, so if you didn't get a good foundation in your intro bio class then you should probably take it.

Biochem material isn't directly tested on the MCAT, but I found it to be helpful. It reinforced ideas from chem, ochem, and physiology. You'd be fine without it though.

Agreed. In terms of importance and the practice test I've been taking (AAMC FLs), Physiology >>> Biochem. While biochem is still one of the better courses out there for a pre-med who is going to take MCATs, my physiology class helped me even more than my intro bio class did.

Thanks! So it seems I better take physiology and, if I have the time, biochem before getting ready for MCAT.

Anyone else have a take on this..?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick Genetics over Biochem, if Genetics was in your plans to be taken at one point or another for your major or whatever.

Edit: definitely take physio though.

Physiology is a must, I would not take the MCAT without taking it. It was not covered in my intro to biology course and instead of reviewing now, I'd be learning it and wasting time.

Seems like you have the general/overwhelming consensus that most people think physio is the best =D

I would pick Genetics over Biochem, if Genetics was in your plans to be taken at one point or another for your major or whatever.

Edit: definitely take physio though.

I found genetics to be entirely worthless on the MCAT. The genetics covered in intro bio was more than enough in my case.

I haven't taken Genetics, Physiology, or Biochem and now I'm studying for MCAT in August. I think both Biochem and Physiology are great choices. Physiology is an "obvious" choice. Biochem, however, may also be helpful because many physiology questions are related to pathways and metabolisms (Na+/K+ channel comes in a lot).

If you study hard though, it really wouldn't matter. I was worried early in my studying that I'll do poorly, but the way MCAT tests materials is very fair especially when it comes to passages.

I found genetics to be entirely worthless on the MCAT. The genetics covered in intro bio was more than enough in my case.

Agreed. The genetics is relatively simple, whereas the physiology can get very complicated. All of the genetics you need to know are taught in intro bio.

I did think biochem was very helpful though. Although not as much as physiology, the topics come up a lot and being familiar with them already helps significantly if you want a top score. I wouldn't say wait an extra year to enter med school just for the two classes, but it definitely is in your best interest to fit them in.