Biochem. before med school helps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderBoy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just finished my premed courses over the summer. Going to be a senior in fall, majoring in Economics. My science gpa is not that great around 3.1, overall around 3.3. I was wondering, would it be better for me to take Biochem rather than take more easier science classes like genetics, human physiology to raise my sci gpa. I really don't want to take Biochem and other sciences. I have heard Biochem could be a hand full. I did decently in orgo, B and B+.

What do you guys think? Should I take Biochem to show adcoms that I can handle difficult science. Or should I try to raise my science gpa by taking easier science classes. I have heard that Biochem also helps on MCATs which I am planning on taking in April. Any info you guys provide will help a lot. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take Biochem for sure! I WILL help with the MCAT (a LOT!) and will certainly give you a leg up on medical biochem once you get in. Of course, it'll look good to the adcoms as well! It's actually not a "hard" class mentally, and most people find it more enjoyable than Organic, by far. Biochem takes all those weird little critters you learned about in Organic and makes them DO something in the body. All the sudden you'll be saying "OH! That's how it works!". It's not an easy class, due to the volumn of stuff that you have to read /memorize, but it's not as abstract / conceptual as Organic either.

Oh yeah, don't knock genetics! Depending on where you go to school, genetics can be a BEAR of a class!

I have to agree. I took it and I think it gave me an edge in conjunction with the classes I took in bio to do better than average on the bio section of the mcat. So far, med school isn't so much comprehension but more so volume. I recommend to take the biochem and you will be better prepared when you take it again in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to veer off the topic but what do you think about courses in Anatomy, Endocrinology, and Neurobiology?

I hope it will help me in med school (if I get in), so I'm taking it this semester.

Great input so far!

I find it funny that some med schools encourage you to take courses that anticipate the med school curriculum like biochem and others discourage you from taking courses like anatomy and physiology (UCLA, among other schools, actively discourages this). Anyone know what's the deal?

Thanks for your input guys. I was just concerned that since I am a nonscience major I may have more problem with Biochem. than other premeds who are science major. Are any of you guys non-science majors who are successful in biochem.?

My med school will be requiring biochem for its entering class next year.

The reason has to do with how much the sciences have advanced over the past two decades. If material gets covered faster, like biochem, then it helps to have a background in it. If the med school requires it, then they can rest assured that the students will keep up with a faster pace, and they'll be able to start the course without going over lots of the basics.

In addition, I was a philosophy major, but I LOVED organic and biochem. It just takes a lot of work. We had the usual class curves, with averages in the 40's to 60's. It's often about how much time you put into it. Study for understanding. Use other texts if you need to. Those of us who spent time in the library using supplemental texts were in better shape than the other students.

Hope that helps.

--kris

Thanks for the input guys. I think i am mature and dedicated enough to take Biochem. Just requires a lot of work simple like everything else. Thanks again guys, wish me luck.