biochem content

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moneyking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I did ek bio and kaplan biochem. I have never taken the course. But kaplan biochem has so many details, but EK covered the samething just in less detail. I would say kaplan got around 60% more detail than ek! Do i need to know those, or should i just stick with Ek and review kaplan for just the amount of details EK covered?'

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It would be best to take a biochemistry course at your institution so you understand those concepts better. It's a little tricky trying to learn the contents of a course while reviewing for the MCAT. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I did ek bio and kaplan biochem. I have never taken the course. But kaplan biochem has so many details, but EK covered the samething just in less detail. I would say kaplan got around 60% more detail than ek! Do i need to know those, or should i just stick with Ek and review kaplan for just the amount of details EK covered?'
I would see how it compares to the AAMC guide starting at page 5: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
I take my exam on Aug 22nd, I have yet to take a Biochemistry course (this fall semester), and my Bio/Biochem score is the highest section for me consistently. I think if you study hard enough, and have a good base/foundation in biology, you should be good.

Reactions: 1 user
I take my exam on Aug 22nd, I have yet to take a Biochemistry course (this fall semester), and my Bio/Biochem score is the highest section for me consistently. I think if you study hard enough, and have a good base/foundation in biology, you should be good.
What did you use for content review?

What did you use for content review?

I am also curious! Also testing on August 22, but B/BC is my weakest

I'm in the On-Demand Kaplan course. Finished the "3 units" of actual classes/lectures and all content review at the start of Aug and have been going over weaknesses and tons of practice sections and exams since. But honestly, I think the Kaplan biochem book goes over things well. When it comes to metabolism and hormonal/endocrine stuff, which I find to pop up on every practice exam, I typically open up the relevant stuff on Wikipedia as well as the Kaplan book, or the Khan academy videos, and have tons of scrap paper to keep drawing out pathways.

Probably not the best response/answer you're looking for though.

Just out of curiosity, are either of you enrolled in a Kaplan course? They have these really short, but dense, review videos on the "more resources" tab, under your recommendations. I found those to help a lot with things that I was very unfamilar with, (Ketogenesis/ketolysis, Beta-Oxidation, gluconeogenesis, etc.)