This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aodnejoch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am wondering how much biochem is on the MCAT. Is completing a full semester course necessary for doing well? I ask because I am planning on taking biochem in the spring 2019 semester , but I am also planning on taking the MCAT in April 2019. Would studying from MCAT books + completing ~2/3 of the class by the time I take the test suffice? Or should I finish the full class and then take the MCAT? Any advice is appreciated.
Yikes. That doesn’t sound like a recipe for success.

I am wondering how much biochem is on the MCAT. Is completing a full semester course necessary for doing well? I ask because I am planning on taking biochem in the spring 2019 semester , but I am also planning on taking the MCAT in April 2019. Would studying from MCAT books + completing ~2/3 of the class by the time I take the test suffice? Or should I finish the full class and then take the MCAT? Any advice is appreciated.
I took the MCAT about 2 weeks AFTER I finished my biochem course. It helped me to study because the class was more in depth, but I would not take the MCAT until you have finished it and feel comfortable with the material. Push the test back to May at least and earn yourself a few more points on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably finish all of biochem before taking the MCAT. But you can certainly take biochem that semester because if it's well taught, that's basically one less subject you need to study for as long as you keep up with the class and do well. And there's a lot of biochem on the MCAT.

I took biochem while studying for the MCAT. I would move the test back a month. You will still get your score in time to submit early, and may even have a week or so to do dedicated MCAT studying. When I took the MCAT in May 2016, there was a ton of biochem

Check out what biochem topics the MCAT tests by reference to the AMCAS website; those topics may differ from those covered in your biochem course:
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/mcat-2015-bb-overview/

Check out this excellent thread on MCAT biochem topics, especially @Sophist's commentary
Things to Know Before Taking Biochemistry?