Biochem experts: how do u study for this class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those who are doing/have done well in nucleic acids/transcription/translation semester of 2 semester biochem, what are your methods of study? on each exam, we get tested on a few questions consisting of data (gels, exp. results, etc.) which we're supposed to come up w/ a conclusion. it's especialy tuff to do when u're not good at picking things up quickly, and you can't find similar problems in textbooks for u to pratice on. i've looked through a bunch of biochem books in library and none have experimental data and expect u to come up w/ conclusions. any suggestions/websites?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you taking biochem lab right now? You could always look up the material that biochem lab teaches out of b/c that is generally what you do in lab. You have an experiment, get some results, and then have a conclusion. if you look in that area you might be able to get some general practice probs.

meddude, have you tried looking in Molecular Bio textbooks as well? This might be representative of my own narrow experience, but I've always found biochem texts to be heavy on the proteins, but light on the nucleic acids...while Molecular Bio literature appear to be the opposite.

I also agree with Epogen's suggestion. Glean through some Biochem lab manuals, etc. to help you out, as they're more experimentally focused!

Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a general suggestion that would probably help you do well in many classes but I think it's especially important for biochem: stay up-to-date with the reading, lectures, etc. There is so much to know/memorize and I personally think that giving yourself plenty of time to study takes off a lot of the stress. Good luck!

This is a general suggestion that would probably help you do well in many classes but I think it's especially important for biochem: stay up-to-date with the reading, lectures, etc. There is so much to know/memorize and I personally think that giving yourself plenty of time to study takes off a lot of the stress. Good luck!

Also a good way to gain practical and interprative knowledge in biochemistry is to read the literature. Looking at biochem journals can be a very good way to hone your skills. You can view the tables and figures and then try to determine the significance of their findings, then read their results/discussion sections to see how 'right on' you were. Biochem textbooks to a great job at describing the history and knowledge base, but don't do a great job at providing real life examples. I'd read the text to get a firm background and then peruse a few journals that use the techniques that you'll be tested on. (gels, blots, immunoassays, runoffs, etc.) Good luck.