Biochem from Bio Dept or Chem Dept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvnguyen1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BS in Computer Science and taking science classes to apply for Med schools. I am taking a Biochem class offered by the Bio Dept. Is it OK or does it have to be offered by the Chem Dept? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was offered by the Bio department...as long as it's a class for science majors (which any biochem should be) it shouldn't matter which dept.

Thanks.

None of my bio class requires as much memorization as that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, biochem is chock full of memorization. I liked it quite a bit...I think I'm a pathway sort of guy. Good luck!

I have a BS in Computer Science and taking science classes to apply for Med schools. I am taking a Biochem class offered by the Bio Dept. Is it OK or does it have to be offered by the Chem Dept? Thanks!

Biochem isn't even required by most med schools, and even if it was, I don't think it matters. Biochem should entail the same curriculum regardless of where it's taught, or which department offers it.

I'm just curious...if your school is large enough to offer two separate biochem classes, why don't they have a biochemistry department? At my school, biochem is a separate department and major.

If it's anything like my school, save yourself the effort and take bio biochem.

If it's anything like my school, save yourself the effort and take bio biochem.

Really? There are separate classes? In my school, biochem is a separate department and if you don't register right away, 500 students will fill the class. While I could see how one department or the other could come up with an upper, upper-division biochem class that builds on what you learn in biochem, the principles that you learn in the basic two-semester class should be the same.

I'd say the principles are the same. We both use Lehninger and whatnot. It's just a different rigor.

Biology test = 50 multiple choice questions which are discussed beforehand, hour time limit

Chemistry test = 10ish essay questions on God-knows-what (no study guide even), 3 hour time limit

Wow! I'm new to this idea, but it seems pretty common. I'd definitely suggest taking biochem with whichever department is easier. Few schools require or recommend it, so I doubt it matters which one you choose. My school's biochem class is really rigorous. Med students from my major have told us they cover less than a quarter of the material they did in undergrad, so I'd pick the easy one.

If you don't need it, don't take it unless you want to. I've talked to current MS-1s and MS-2s who were lulled into a false sense of security because they already took biochem, pharm, physio, anatomy, histology, and cell bio. Once they started taking unfamiliar classes, they had to learn how to cram the equivalent of the toughest semester or two of undergrad into one exam period :)

It doesn't matter which dept you take it from, as long as it is a course for science majors. I took it from the bio dept and had no problem.

Last edited: