biochem grade make up for poor orgo and chem grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScarletKnights

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay so i received a C in chem and orgo 1 and 2. im going to repeat chem this summer right before applying. i wish i had time to repeat orgo but im afraid i do not. im just wondering if admission committees will overlook my poor orgo grades a little if i do well in biochem?

Members don't see this ad.

Remember that doing well in biochemistry is heavily reliant on a good solid background in General and Organic Chemistry.

okay so i received a C in chem and orgo 1 and 2. im going to repeat chem this summer right before applying. i wish i had time to repeat orgo but im afraid i do not. im just wondering if admission committees will overlook my poor orgo grades a little if i do well in biochem?
yes, actually some places don't require org2 just org1 and chem elective. I was in the same boat and replaced my crappy org2 grade with my biochem grade. instant gpa boost! look at the requirements of the places you're applying to and see what grades you can use to "replace" them

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, actually some places don't require org2 just org1 and chem elective. I was in the same boat and replaced my crappy org2 grade with my biochem grade. instant gpa boost! look at the requirements of the places you're applying to and see what grades you can use to "replace" them

Ohh wow I've actually never heard of any DO schools allowing you to replace ochem 2 with biochem. Do you remember any schools that you applied to that allowed you to do this? I did some research but couldn't find anything.

Ohh wow I've actually never heard of any DO schools allowing you to replace ochem 2 with biochem. Do you remember any schools that you applied to that allowed you to do this? I did some research but couldn't find anything.
I definitely know my school, LECOM does. you're not really replacing the grade per se, just not submitting it. most places require chem1, chem2, org1, chem elective. (and sometimes biochem). those are all that I submitted. I left out my org2 grade. my gpa was diff than my science gpa. I had a bunch of extra classes and picked and chose my electives wisely. read the fine print, every school is diff

Hm. I've wondered about this because I took a year of clinical biochemistry---in the first semester I got a C+ (I believe) and in the second semester I received an A and was one of the top performers in the class. I'm not sure how this would be looked at or anything.

I definitely know my school, LECOM does. you're not really replacing the grade per se, just not submitting it. most places require chem1, chem2, org1, chem elective. (and sometimes biochem). those are all that I submitted. I left out my org2 grade. my gpa was diff than my science gpa. I had a bunch of extra classes and picked and chose my electives wisely. read the fine print, every school is diff

I have never heard of this. So are you saying that, on some school's applications, you can pick a few classes to leave off? Do you still calculate these classes into your GPA?

I did great in Orgo 2, but terrible in Physics 2. Can I leave Physics 2 off of LeComs application?

I have never heard of this. So are you saying that, on some school's applications, you can pick a few classes to leave off? Do you still calculate these classes into your GPA?

I did great in Orgo 2, but terrible in Physics 2. Can I leave Physics 2 off of LeComs application?
when you complete your secondary, it'll ask you what grades you got in what subject matter. read the fine print of the app. not all places require org2, some require biochem...so if they don't ask, don't put it down. only put down the courses they ask for. your overall grade won't change, but your science gpa may

ohh alright im going to apply to LECOM so when I submit my secondary I can leave off Orgo 2 and write down biochem instead? wont they still see my orgo 2 grade on my transcript though?

You have significant academic issues that many of the committees will not simply overlook. If you don't have a seriously legitimate reason to justify long-term repeatedly poor academic performance, you're done. You say you don't have time to repeat the classes? I'd say admissions committees will give you that time.

Also, why do you expect these adcom's to overlook so many poor grades? You're not giving them any reason to believe you when you say you can hack it.

when you complete your secondary, it'll ask you what grades you got in what subject matter. read the fine print of the app. not all places require org2, some require biochem...so if they don't ask, don't put it down. only put down the courses they ask for. your overall grade won't change, but your science gpa may

I think I am missing something.

Won't they have my AACOMAS grade sheet though?

If not, why can't I just pretend like I got A's in all my classes?

I think I am missing something.

Won't they have my AACOMAS grade sheet though?

If not, why can't I just pretend like I got A's in all my classes?
you could try but that'd be lying.....they'll have all your grades but when they look at the secondary app, they're only asking for certain classes. ex: LECOM wanted the usual phy, bio...etc but when it came to chem they only wanted chem1, chem2, org1, chem elective. I had taken org2 (did bad) but also took biochem (did good). so I used my biochem grade as that chem elective. when you fill the secondary out, look at the fine print of what they want. every school has similar requirements but not exact