SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Biochem in med school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cmshopeful, May 16, 2008.

1. cmshopeful

cmshopeful 2+ Year Member

May 5, 2008
    Hey guys,
    In med school biochem do you need to know
    * Where/how the 20 amino acids feed into the citric acid cycle? (including names of the intermediates and the details of intermediate steps..... from say how a threonine turns into a pyruvate)

* To what detail were you expected to know fatty acid metabolism?

* What about glycolysis....did you need to know the all the steps/intermediates/enzyme names for each step from glucose to pyruvate?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cpants

cpants Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Yes, you need to know all of that stuff.
  4. The Doctor

The Doctor EMH Mark I 10+ Year Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Depends on where you go to med school. Duke's curriculum is somewhat abridged so our biochem was ridiculously light (but it did hit the high points of what we "needed" to know). From talking with my undergrad friends that went elsewhere, their biochem experiences were decidedly different, and they described having to memorize a ton of pathways, intermediates, and structures.
  5. DrZaius

DrZaius Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2005
    I'm assuming Duke covers all you need to know for Step 1?
  6. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow Physician 10+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2006
    It'll vary among schools. For the most part you'll need to know the more clinically relevant details of biochem. You won't need to know all the detailed steps of glycolysis just to know them, but you will have to know various specifics of key regulation steps and specific steps that are involved in disease/illness.
  7. ZagDoc

ZagDoc Ears, Noses, and Throats 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2007

Know it. Love it. Cry.
  8. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    You mean you guys didnt have to learn this in 4th grade science?
  9. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy" 5+ Year Member

May 23, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Work through the pain?
  10. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2005
    One thing I've learned in medical school is that unless you're specifically told you don't have to know something, then you're expected to know it.

That being said, for Biochem, more emphasis is based on the irreversible steps in each process, and more importantly steps that have clinical relevance.
  11. LikeClockWork

LikeClockWork Guest

Jul 23, 2007
    Wait just a minute! Med hard?

Anyone know any good business schools?
  12. beachblonde

beachblonde 2+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2007
    In short, yes. Including the irreversible steps, certain drugs that inhibit specific steps, and more.

By time you're done with biochem, you'll be close to being able to draw a substantial amount of that chart somebody posted from memory.

Love and use thy whiteboard...

(a safe way to predict stuff for med school? if you went over it in college bio/biochem, you'll probably need to know it in more detail for med school.)
  13. Insulinshock

Insulinshock Class of 2022 7+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Holy God...
  14. DrZaius

DrZaius Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2005
    I already memorized it. Got a chart for anatomy, too?
  15. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me 7+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Tally/Willkillya County
    The best part is that as a practicing physician very few of you will use that for anything but to impress your friends.
  16. Schemp

Schemp drawing infinity 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2008
    which, to be fair, is the best part about being a physician. :D
  17. chad5871

chad5871 Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Portland, OR
    +1 :thumbup:
  18. SB100

SB100 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Cambridge, MA
    I doubt memorizing that is impressive to your friends, especially if they aren't science people :p
  19. The Doctor

The Doctor EMH Mark I 10+ Year Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Pretty much - I think that in squeezing the preclinical stuff into one year we hit all of the high points and cut out a lot of the pesky details that may not play as much into the bigger picture. That said, the curriculum obviously has to cut something, and it seems that we are sorely deficient in embryology and some other areas. Further, a lot of teaching goes by so fast that the details don't stick. I guess the idea is that you relearn this material on the wards next year and on your own during third year (the research year) before you take Step 1 (anytime third year). The word from upperclassmen I've talked with is that Duke doesn't teach to the boards and that we have to put in a bit more time studying on our own to catch up. I think our step 1 average is usually around 235, which isn't terrible by any means.

In terms of biochem - I think it may be one of the more deficient areas here requiring review, but thankfully it is supposedly not as important on Step 1. My undergrad biochem class at Vandy was ridiculously hard - we had to memorize many, many pathways with structures, enzyme names, energy values, etc. Here - it was just the opposite - like painting with big brush strokes and concepts rather than minute details.
  20. ZagDoc

ZagDoc Ears, Noses, and Throats 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2007
    In theory, every medical school covers what you need to know for Step 1. It's just whether they present it in a manner most conducive to remembering/applying it to Step 1 that most curricula differ.