1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Biochem majors

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fidgety_neuron, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Fidgety_neuron

Fidgety_neuron Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I want to know how many years did it take you to complete your degree. I am a transfer student at a University and think that I would need to spend more than 1 year since I am majoring in Biochem. I already have spent my 4years at cc, now I don’t want to waste anymore time. I have to take 22 more classes, which are 4 credits each.

In the fall, I am going to take 1st Biochem class plus calculus, and some other electives. I have completed some of the requirements for my degree. I do understand it requires a lot of hard work. If you currently are majoring in biochem, what do you think about it so far? Did you ever take more than 2 biochem classes at the same time, where you able to get good grades in all? I think I will be taking more than 2-3 biochem class at the same time to finish my degree.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. yolony

yolony Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I completed mine in 4 years, also with a minor in statistics, but I took two courses over the summer.

I did most of the easy introductory (pre-med required) courses during the first two years along with cal I-III. Junior and Senior year were more focused on the higher level courses and electives. I took multiple ones at a time, some semesters had 3 upper level science courses in them. It's doable - the main thing is you don't get much opportunity for normal electives.

4. 4 years is very doable. Im personally taking 4.5 years but thats just me. I wanted to have close to a year off before med school.

5. Lilah

Lilah Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

In my case, 5 years for a biochem. degree and minor in sociology (starting with no AP credit and changing from a general bio. major to biochemistry).

I took my pre-med and general education classes first and then spent over two years taking 3-4 upper division biology classes per quarter. It turned out okay but I do wish I had planned ahead to get a mix of upper/lower, science/non- science, easy/hard classes each quarter.

You could definitely do it and do well. It might help if you take classes that have some overlapping or related material at the same time.

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you have not yet taken a single biochem class, how do you even know you want to major in it? Just major in whatever you enjoy -- med schools won't care what.