Biochem/molecular bio topics to cover before D1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalStudent8991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

With my D1 year now just a few months away I wanted to ask the upper-class students which topics they would recommend starting to get familiar with especially in courses like Biochem, anatomy etc.

I know the general consensus seems to be to "enjoy your time off" but I personally think getting back into the swing of studying some material will help me transition from my gap year into D1.

Some topics I am beginning with include
1. Chemical bonding
2. Protein biochemistry (enzyme kinetics)
3. Cell Resp (Krebs cycle, Glycolysis)

Any others?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I know the general consensus seems to be to "enjoy your time off"
It's consensus for a reason. Studying will at best help marginally, by the time you even get to those topics you'll have forgotten them anyways. Enjoy your time off. I took a gap year like you did and just worked and enjoyed time with friends which was the best thing for me. I recommend you do the same.

Reactions: 5 users
This may be the last time you get this much free time, save for retirement.

You can review these topics now, but the bulk of the material will be covered in a handful of lectures. You will take exams, then move on to the next fire hydrant. The majority of it will be forgotten as it is irrelevant to clinical dentistry. Even the board exam has been reformed to only cover clinically relevant materials.

Enjoy your time off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

With my D1 year now just a few months away I wanted to ask the upper-class students which topics they would recommend starting to get familiar with especially in courses like Biochem, anatomy etc.

I know the general consensus seems to be to "enjoy your time off" but I personally think getting back into the swing of studying some material will help me transition from my gap year into D1.

Some topics I am beginning with include
1. Chemical bonding
2. Protein biochemistry (enzyme kinetics)
3. Cell Resp (Krebs cycle, Glycolysis)

Any others?
in the school you are going to what is the first class? you may not be covering biochem till much later so won't make that much sense to start with that.

My school started with gross anatomy, so reach out to current students and see if they have any advice.

what would be more high yield is looking up all the different study techniques and schedules, and nailing down diet and exercise routines if you haven't already.

Reactions: 1 users
For all that is good in the world, please do not do this to yourself by studying before school starts. I agree with PerioDont that you should be nailing down some routines to take with you into dental school.

Thank you everyone for the advice! As hard as it was not to begin studying and trying to be "productive" I think enjoying myself and spending time with friends and family was the best thing to do. But like some of you said I spent some time familiarizing my self with Anki and RemNote as potential study tools.