Biochem necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

lost

Does taking Biochem really help on the MCAT? Will I be at a disadvantage if I donot take Biochem?

Members don't see this ad.

i second the last post. It's not something that is required for the MCAT. I did not take it and I know of alot of people who also didn't take it. If you have the time and you are looking for a good course, then by all means take it. It's a fascinating thing to learn about. Also, it will help you for other classes and just for general cool knowledge. But by no means is it a requirement. i also agree that you probably want to take it before you graduate. I know umichigan requires it.

Definitely, even though the knowledge gained by taking BioChem won't help to much on the MCAT, the process of getting good at learning tons of pretty dry, worthless information will be helpful. At least that's my thought on the matter anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think you're better off using your time/money to take a prep course rather than Biochem. I didn't take Biochem before the MCAT and I did quite well on BS. However, I'm taking Biochem now because I think it will help me in medical school.

biochem is benefecial for both med school and the mcat....it can't hurt you! and some schools it is a requirement...better be safe than sorry