biochem on usmle step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColumbiaPsych

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how heavily tested is biochemisty in your step 1 experience? any siggestions to bring my score up in that department?

Members don't see this ad.

ColumbiaPsych said:
how heavily tested is biochemisty in your step 1 experience? any siggestions to bring my score up in that department?

I think it varies. Some people said they had loads of biochem while some say it was average. My exam had approximately 40-50 biochem qs, 20-30 cell and molec.

If you have time, go with Kaplan Biochem + videos if you have them. If you don't have time, HY Biochem is adequate too if you have a strong biochem background. I've already heard good things about Goljian rapid review Biochemistry. Definately add cell and molec if your cell and molec is weak.

This is a good question.

Is BRS biochem and FA enough?

I am not really good at Biochem. (want to do well though in this section that is)

BRS plus FA would be enough...most likely too much. Many people say just to use what's in FA. Personally I used Rapid Review Biochem and loved it (well...about as much as one can "love" a biochem book). I really had very few strict biochem questions...no more than 10-15 questions total - but, as others have said, the exact number of questions can vary a lot. I did however have a bunch of nutrition which tends to fall under biochem - RR Biochem has a great chapter on nutrition. I also had a bunch of cell/molec questions, so I would definitely recommend getting a seperate review book for that topic (I used HY)

Members don't see this ad :)
my school has done a terrible job of teaching us cell and molecular bio. it seems as if i havent learned any. so i got the HY cell and molecular bio, but i feel that it is a little dry...just facts to memorize. i dont really understand it since i never learned it in the first place. any suggestions? :scared:

also, for biochem, i was thinking of just using the Lippincott's book. What do most students usually do? I'm wondering if Lippincott's is too much to get through close to the exam. Any experiences on HY vs. BRS Biochem?

medicinehopeful said:
also, for biochem, i was thinking of just using the Lippincott's book. What do most students usually do? I'm wondering if Lippincott's is too much to get through close to the exam. Any experiences on HY vs. BRS Biochem?
A lot of people use it (Lippincotts)...it has good figures/charts etc, but in my opinion, it's more book than you need for step 1

FA was enough biochem for my exam, as long as you really knew it well. HY Cell and Molecular is vital IMO. I wouldn't really worry about not having the foundation in it, most of what was on my exam was decipherable just from memorizing things in HY.

Anyone else use Rapid Review Series Biochem and find it useful? I think Lippincott's might be an overkill and it sounds like FA isn't quite enough always.