biochem open enrollment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hchang9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm currently finishing up the harvard postbacc program. I plan to move back home to California once the fall comes around.
I know a lot of schools require biochem. I called my undergrad institution and they told me that I have to reapply to the school for the fall of 2012 if I want to take any classes; it's an entire year out. I want to take biochem during the glide year. Are there any colleges in socal with open enrollment for biochem? Is my only choice to stay at harvard? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure that there is not some option to take the course as a non-degree-seeking student with less strict requirements for enrollment?

Hi guys. I'm currently finishing up the harvard postbacc program. I plan to move back home to California once the fall comes around.
I know a lot of schools require biochem. I called my undergrad institution and they told me that I have to reapply to the school for the fall of 2012 if I want to take any classes; it's an entire year out. I want to take biochem during the glide year. Are there any colleges in socal with open enrollment for biochem? Is my only choice to stay at harvard? Any help would be great. Thanks.
CCs in California have Biochem. Check them out. However...you may not find a class in the summer. The budget got cut (again) this year and a lot of schools are offering minimum or NO summers school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure that there is not some option to take the course as a non-degree-seeking student with less strict requirements for enrollment?

The cal states say they can take me in the summer, but I'll be taking my last course here at harvard summer. I might be able to take a biochem course at ucla extension, but I want to find other options in case they don't have any spots available for me.

CMU has an open-enrollment biochemistry class as part of its Open Courseware initiative. Might be worth checking out. If you enroll in the class, take the tests, submit all the work, and get a prof that runs the program to sign off on it you *might* be able to convince a really progressive ADCOM to sign off on that requirement for you-- probably better to get an A in a CC class if you can find one over the summer, though.

http://oli.web.cmu.edu/openlearning/forstudents/freecourses/biochemistry

They have tips in their FAQ for trying to arrange for an institution to give you credit for completing their online stuff. Again, there's no credit or proof you did anything-- but if you can't figure anything else out and are thinking of not applying to those schools, it might be worth e-mailing them and asking if it would allow you waive the requirement. I had several schools bend their requirements for me slightly for different things when I asked.

The cal states say they can take me in the summer, but I'll be taking my last course here at harvard summer. I might be able to take a biochem course at ucla extension, but I want to find other options in case they don't have any spots available for me.

UCLA Extension does offer biochem, but at different levels during different quarters. I'm taking 153C right now, and they offer 153A during the upcoming summer quarter. If you take it here, hopefully you won't have the prof I have right now...she's absolutely terrible.

UCLA Extension does offer biochem, but at different levels during different quarters. I'm taking 153C right now, and they offer 153A during the upcoming summer quarter. If you take it here, hopefully you won't have the prof I have right now...she's absolutely terrible.

Hah! I knew it. I'm taking biochem from this same individual at a CSU as we speak. My spider sense told me to google that course and see who came up.

How difficult was it to secure a seat in the course? What's the class like? Can everyone get As in the course or is it curved in a way that only a few students can get As? What's the name of your professor? I'm going to try to avoid her if possible.

i took the extension 153A biochem. it was pretty easy to get into the class, its cheap, 500 bucks a believe. I had Kevin Connolly as my prof. He was fair. No curve, you get what you earn. Tests were not too bad. No curveballs, just work your ass off.

i took the extension 153A biochem. it was pretty easy to get into the class, its cheap, 500 bucks a believe. I had Kevin Connolly as my prof. He was fair. No curve, you get what you earn. Tests were not too bad. No curveballs, just work your ass off.

Thanks for the info. I feel better knowing that I'll be able to find a class in the fall. Do you know if taking 1 quarter of biochem at UCLA satisfies the 1 semester of biochem requirement at medical schools?

Hah! I knew it. I'm taking biochem from this same individual at a CSU as we speak. My spider sense told me to google that course and see who came up.

That's really unfortunate :p Please tell me she's actually bad and that I'm not just a mean person :(

OP, I've heard good things about the 153A prof from others in my class. I'd recommend not taking 153C as a first biochem class, like I'm doing.