Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Biochem or Genetics as a pre-dental major?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by TX2005, Dec 9, 2008.

1. TX2005

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know no specific major is required or even recommended for dental school, but I am curious everyone's thoughts on Biochemistry and Genetics. Right now, I am planning on going back to school for a Biology major, but Biochemistry or Genetics are an option now as well.

Anyone in either Biochem or Genetics have any thoughts on those degrees and how well they serve as to getting you into Dental school? Also, just to note, I am interested in all three majors, but am a little unsure how specifically to choose.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Flossy13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If your are debating between genetics and biochem, i would def go biochem. that is the essence of a dental education. Take a genetics course, but as a major, biochem would be much more pertinant and beneficial.

Biochem is at a very micro level and involves a lot of memorization (at my school at least)
    Genetics is going to involve a lot of statistics, so if you like stats/math, that could be a better option.

Personally, I am a biology major, and biochem and genetics were my least favorite sciences, but to each their own....All three would be sufficient for getting you into dental school.

#2 Flossy13, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  4. leoele

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I was a biochem major, and I think it prepared me very well for a dental education. As part of the program, I had to take a genetics class, which was okay, but I feel like much more than a basic understanding of a college level genetics course is overkill for dental school.

5. RMPredent2009

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    id say challenge yourself and go for biochem. Most d-schools are starting to require biochem anyway and all of the prereqs for dental school and med school (at least at my undergrad school) are included in the major. You will get a really good background in genetics also with a biochem major.

6. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would go with biochem b/c that will help you out a lot more in the didactic years of dental school.

7. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i would definitely do biochem, especially since that's what i chose.

if you're going back to school, have you considered just taking the pre-requisite classes and applying? I ran into a few people who had done just that, they went to 2 or 3 years of undergrad, then applied to dental schools (they had multiple interviews, so i assume they probably were accepted)

Just a thought, not sure how far along you are in life or how soon you want to get there

8. TX2005

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It seems like Biochem would be a good choice.

One school I'm looking at says they have 75-80% acceptance rates into med school for those who apply (not sure about dental), but I guess that's because I also hear Biochem might be the hardest major at a university.

9. Oracle DMD

Oracle DMD Chuck NOracle DMD
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    major in whatever you are interested in. you'll take all the pre-reqs you need to get in; kill those classes, but MAJOR in something you're interested in...not just because you think it'll help you in dental school for 5 min. the science in d-school isn't so hard that you need to worry about majoring in biochem. that being said, after taking all the pre-reqs you need you're pretty close to a bio degree anyways, but whatever, major in something YOU like. there are music majors, engineering majors, art majors, and the like in my class at dental school.

10. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    true, enjoy what you major in, but i will say that having a BBCMB degree certainly helped in taking the DAT, i mean i barely studied and did just fine, but it was due to the rigorous sciency cousres i've taken.

so my advice is to certainly take that into consideration, but def major in what you'll like bc you'll do better in that than if you take a bunch of science classes and hate it

11. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Those numbers are a little bit exaggerated for med schools in general. Their acceptance numbers are similar to ds.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=516945