Biochem prereq???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junathon

wa wa
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm selecting schools right now and noticed that many schools list biochem as a prereq. :eek: what's that about? i just placed it in my amcas as a future course, but i may not take it depending on the rejections. :D did anyone else run into the same problem?

Members don't see this ad.

junathon said:
i'm selecting schools right now and noticed that many schools list biochem as a prereq. :eek: what's that about? i just placed it in my amcas as a future course, but i may not take it depending on the rejections. :D did anyone else run into the same problem?

I have included it as my future course as well. It's all good dude, If you drop the course, you'll have to inform every school though

I would recommend taking biochem before med school. Biochem goes by very fast in med school and is quite a bit to take in if you have never seen it before. Most students in my class had taken biochem prior to med school and the ones that hadn't definitely felt the pain more.

I second that emotion! I took a two-semester sequence of biochemistry as part of my post-bacc even though only one of the med schools I was applying to required any biochem at all. During the lightning round of biochem that I got in my first year of med school, I was verrrrrrrrry glad I had taken biochem previously. It's just too much info that goes by much too quickly. Most of my classmates had also taken biochem previously, so it's unlikely the lectures would have been slowed down to go over the minutiae of all the biochem cycles.