biochem problem book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone suggest to me a good book for biochem problems? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i can't get this to work. perhaps i am doing something wrong. i did a search for "biochemistry" and nothing came up. when i first went to the site i clicked on "Find NetLibrary eContent solutions for your library".

You will have to sign up for an account first. Usually, you will have to use a computer on your college's campus to do this step, as NetLibrary will check your IP address. After you have an account, you can login from anywhere and then do a search.

Try looking at all old test questions in case you have taken the class previously, even the previous years' exams. Then try BRS, Lipincott, and Kaplan Q-Bank.

I agree. I like BRS because it offers quick summaries and then questions to reinforce.

drguy22 said:
BRS biochem is good

I like Pre-test, but havne't used it for biochem yet.

PiccoloPlaya82 said:
Try looking at all old test questions in case you have taken the class previously, even the previous years' exams. Then try BRS, Lipincott, and Kaplan Q-Bank.
Actually Lippincott doesn't have any problems in it.

ms1finally said:
I like Pre-test, but havne't used it for biochem yet.
If it's for the NBME, the PreTest is the way to go. The Q's are difficult, but very comprehensive (just like the NBME).

BioChem and Pys ar tough finals. Just keep moving and don't get caught up in it. Scoring is relative and freeking out does no good.

aparecida said:
Actually Lippincott doesn't have any problems in it.

My Lippincott's has review questions at the end of every chapter...granted, there are only 4 per chapter, but it does have problems.

it's true that BRS has good questions, but... I believe the most challenging questions can be found in "Master Medicine: Biochemistry". Also, the chapters are MUCH better than BRS in explaining concepts... especially if you took biochem as an undergrad. Otherwise- Lippincott's Review is the textbook of choice (but it has a fairly crappy and small selection of questions).

Hi there,
See if you can find a copy of Biochemistry, A Problems Approach by Woods. Try Amazon or the used book section of your bookstore. This book is a classic and a must-have for any graduate biochemistry student. This book has excellent problems and solutions are readily available. It is a older book but very applicable still as buffer problems etc. have not changed.

If you are looking for review books in Biochemistry, the BRS and Lippincott books are OK. Do remember that you cannot REVIEW what you have not learned in the first place so do not look to a review book to teach you biochemistry.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
See if you can find a copy of Biochemistry, A Problems Approach by Woods. Try Amazon or the used book section of your bookstore. This book is a classic and a must-have for any graduate biochemistry student. This book has excellent problems and solutions are readily available. It is a older book but very applicable still as buffer problems etc. have not changed.

If you are looking for review books in Biochemistry, the BRS and Lippincott books are OK. Do remember that you cannot REVIEW what you have not learned in the first place so do not look to a review book to teach you biochemistry.

njbmd :)

thanks for the suggestions. i have the lippincott's, but found it to be too basic. i had a year of biochem in undergrad, and decided that i just wanted some questions to help me review. i did buy brs biochem for the questions and will also check into the books above. thanks.