Biochem question

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by SimulD, Sep 18, 2001.

1. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey,

I just received an e-mail from my school regarding an exemption of Biochemistry. They say, if a student can pass a shelf exam in Biochem, they are exempt from the course. This sounds pretty good, because it would make my second semester pretty light (Neuro, Physiology, and Foundations of Medicine). But, the thing is, the exemption test is the first day of Spring semester (January something or other). So, I'd have to study all break. I already feel a little overworked and I know that break will be refreshing, but to get that exemption also sounds great.

So, does anyone think a shelf exam can be passed with 3 weeks of hard core studying over XMas break and is it worth it?

Thanks,

Simul
    Tulane Med '05

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. guardian

guardian Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't really know but will you be getting the class notes ahead of time to study? Have you taken biochem or advanced organic chem in your undergrad?

4. cm7b5

cm7b5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Guardian-----my stupid committee letter hasn't been sent out.....it is currently done...but is being typed now....and I HAVEN'T GOTTEN MY THESIS BACK!!!!!!!
    SUNY BING IS POOP!

Friedman

5. Glory

Glory New Member

I think it's possible...if you have really good materials (aren't confusing), and you have someone that did well in the class you can talk to. My biochem was 3 quarters though, you gonna be exempt from all of them? Anyways, I say if you can studying your ass off...DO IT!

6. alina_s

alina_s Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've used Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews- Biochemistry, by Pamela Champe and Richard Harvery. It's very helpful and brief, but I also used my old textbook to look up things that I didn't understand from the brief outline. Good luck.