Biochem. Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myra1972

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice how to study biochem thoroughly, any pattern of studying. I wonder how you guys got a very high grade for biochem, when it seems that it is very difficult subject for me, maybe my basics is not that good. :scared: Thanks for your advice. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I am also having the same issues with Biochem....
I am trying to read the Kplan notes and also searching the web for relevant topics. If you do a web search you can search the different websites with excellant resources. I know it is time consuming... but there is no other easy way out.

Members don't see this ad :)
PK_Bond said:
I am also having the same issues with Biochem....
I am trying to read the Kplan notes and also searching the web for relevant topics. If you do a web search you can search the different websites with excellant resources. I know it is time consuming... but there is no other easy way out.

lippincotts biochem review is a good book to use and adequate for part 1.

options are...
lippincots..very good book
browns review of boichem....good
there is this book by a prof in Manipal...excellent...u can solve all the ques with that
kaplan
if u read lippincots u will get to know what biochem actually is....

when a brief period of hysterical hyperventilation causes respiratory alkalosis, tetany might be caused by a sudden DECREASE in which of the following kinds of calcium?

a. total serum
b. ionized serum
c. citrate bound
d. serum protein-bound

Kindly explain,

if the anticodon on transfer-RNA is 5'ACG3', then which of the following is its corresponding codon on messenger-RNA?

a. CGT
b. CGU
c. TGC
d. UAG
e. UGC

Coupled respiration requires each of the following except one. Which one is this exception?

a. ADP
b. Oxygen
c. Carbon dioxide
d. electron donor
e. Inorganic phosphate

Which of the following statements BEST describe the strength of cardiac muscle contraction? It is

a. decreased when extracellular Ca is increased
b. increased when extracellular Ca is increased
c. mainly regulated by vagal impulses
d. unaffected by the extracellular Ca
e. mainly regulated by heart rate

try USMLE biochem kaplan notes, they r really good and easy to remember cycles and facts.I found it better for part 1.

when a brief period of hysterical hyperventilation causes respiratory alkalosis, tetany might be caused by a sudden DECREASE in which of the following kinds of calcium?

a. total serum
b. ionized serum
c. citrate bound
d. serum protein-bound

I think is a)

Kindly explain,

if the anticodon on transfer-RNA is 5'ACG3', then which of the following is its corresponding codon on messenger-RNA?

a. CGT
b. CGU
c. TGC
d. UAG
e. UGC

b)

Coupled respiration requires each of the following except one. Which one is this exception?

a. ADP
b. Oxygen
c. Carbon dioxide
d. electron donor
e. Inorganic phosphate

c)

No sure about the last one

babyteeth said:

a. total serum
b. ionized serum
c. citrate bound
d. serum protein-bound

I think is a)

Kindly explain,

a. CGT
b. CGU
c. TGC
d. UAG
e. UGC

b)

a. ADP
b. Oxygen
c. Carbon dioxide
d. electron donor
e. Inorganic phosphate

c)

the last q ... answer is CO2 .. all the others are required for coupled respiration.
toothie

Hi,
Anyone tried using Little brown review book?.? :confused:
Any comments on it?
V

Each of the following is expected to be active during fatty acid biosynthesis except one. Which one is this exception.

a. Tricarboxylic acid cycle
b. pyruvate dehydrogenase
c. amino acid catabolism
d. beta oxidation
e. glycolysis

Which of the following statements best characterized a steroid hormone?

a. stored in secretory granules
b. binds to intracellular receptors
c. synthesized in precursor form
d. acts by generating a second messenger
e. usually transported unbound in plasma

Which brown bOok?

Hi,guys
Anyone using digging up the bones book?..how good is this book? :confused:
Best of luck :thumbup:
Vrnda

Look for Clinical Biochemistry made ridiculously simple by
Stephen Goldberg, MD
Its an easy reviewer and a lot of answers were in the book.
I took my exams last Jan 2005.
Good Luck!

myra1972 said:
Each of the following is expected to be active during fatty acid biosynthesis except one. Which one is this exception.

a. Tricarboxylic acid cycle
b. pyruvate dehydrogenase
c. amino acid catabolism
d. beta oxidation
e. glycolysis

Which of the following statements best characterized a steroid hormone?

a. stored in secretory granules
b. binds to intracellular receptors
c. synthesized in precursor form
d. acts by generating a second messenger
e. usually transported unbound in plasma

(D) Beta oxidation is inhibited during FA biosynthesis. Malonyl CoA inhibits CPT-I (CAT 1) and prevents acyl group entry into the mitochondrial matrix where beta oxidation takes plase. An easier way to learn it is.. when an anabolic (synthesis) pathway is activated and the catabolic (degradation) pathways are usually inhibited. However knowing the specific inhibitors and activators of each biochem pathway are sure to make that section easier for you.

(B) Steroids are hydrophobic and must bind to a plasma protein (albumin). The receptors that steroid hormones bind to are called ligand-activated proteins and these guys regulate transcription of genes. Unlike peptide hormone receptors, which you should know, span the plasma membrane and bind ligand outside the cell, steroid hormone receptors are found in the cytosol and the nucleus. Therefore, instead of activating G proteins, PIP2, DAG, adenylate cyclase, etc. (secondary messengers are IP3, Ca2+, cAMP and DAG) they directly activate transcription factors.

I hope this helps.... I am in the same boat as you, I will be taking Part 1 in july. But I am not an international student so unfortunately I don't get much time to study but hopefully I will be prepared to score high.

Hey Guys,
refer to the 'link of interest ' thread, it has some excellent websource material. Biochem was a real sore spot with me too, so I referred to websites that make things really simplified. Another advice would be to just refer to one book and then try and solve as many MCQ"s as you can find. This way , you try and keep your concepts intact. hope this helps..

babyteeth said:

a. total serum
b. ionized serum
c. citrate bound
d. serum protein-bound

I think is a)

I do not know if it is late for me writting this but I tought it was necessary to clarify this point

the answers is B
According to the article on this web pag

http://www.jficm.anzca.edu.au/pdfdocs/Journal/Journal2002/J2002 (d) December/CPMII.pdf

in table I. Causes of hypocalcaemia says that respiratory alkalosis is related to reduced plasma ionised with normal total calcium

If the question would 've been hyperventilation causes respiratory alkalosois, tetany might be caused by a NORMAL concentration of what of the following kinds of calcium?
Then......... The answer would have been Total serum calcium (A)

I hope it was not too late

myra1972 said:

a. total serum
b. ionized serum
c. citrate bound
d. serum protein-bound

Kindly explain,

a. CGT
b. CGU
c. TGC
d. UAG
e. UGC

a. ADP
b. Oxygen
c. Carbon dioxide
d. electron donor
e. Inorganic phosphate

Which of the following statements BEST describe the strength of cardiac muscle contraction? It is

a. decreased when extracellular Ca is increased
b. increased when extracellular Ca is increased
c. mainly regulated by vagal impulses
d. unaffected by the extracellular Ca
e. mainly regulated by heart rate

hi.
ans of last quest is (b)
reason is inotropic state(myocardial contractility) in cardiac muscle is one of the determinant of cardiac performance &increased concentration of extracellular Ca is one of the positive inotropyof cardiac contractility.

hope this give u ans , if i m wrong,plz do correct me.

babyteeth said:

a. total serum
b. ionized serum
c. citrate bound
d. serum protein-bound

I think is a)

Kindly explain,

a. CGT
b. CGU
c. TGC
d. UAG
e. UGC

b)

a. ADP
b. Oxygen
c. Carbon dioxide
d. electron donor
e. Inorganic phosphate

c)

Babyteeth,
This question was asked for you already and itsgavanic answer it and explain it to you
check this thread

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=128307&highlight=ionized+calcium