Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartreader

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting med school in the fall. However, I come from a relatively non-science background compared to most pre-meds who've studied immuno/biochem/bio/physiology (I majored in physical therapy). I have heard that biochem can be tough for those people who have never touched it in undergrad (i.e. Me). So is there anything that I can do to prepare my self for biochem in med school? I'm not talking about studying the pathways etc that I will cover in the future, but wrather review the topics that are fundamental for understaning biochem.

Cheers,
smartreader

Members don't see this ad.

smartreader said:
I'm starting med school in the fall. However, I come from a relatively non-science background compared to most pre-meds who've studied immuno/biochem/bio/physiology (I majored in physical therapy). I have heard that biochem can be tough for those people who have never touched it in undergrad (i.e. Me). So is there anything that I can do to prepare my self for biochem in med school? I'm not talking about studying the pathways etc that I will cover in the future, but wrather review the topics that are fundamental for understaning biochem.

Cheers,
smartreader

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews, "Biochemistry", Champe, Harvey, & Ferrier.

Solid Gold

I would get a realy biochem book , not a review book, something like Lehninger and read the intro chapters on stuff like water, membranes, all the intro stuff before you hit metabolic pathways because in medschool they blow through that intro stuff likie you already konw it and are expected to konw it. and my first exam was like 80 percent all that stuff so its not like you can blow it off. Plus if you konw the basics from the intro chapters it will make learning the pathways alot easier later in class and you wont feel behind. goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
Ramoray said:
I would get a realy biochem book , not a review book,

Ignore that guy, he's a gunner.

Lippincott is great. It kinda bridges the gap between being a review book and being a text. A big thick text will only confuse you and you'll waste time on things you'll never need to know unless you become a biochemical engineer (you want to be a doctor right?) It reviews while explaining the basics and even thows in some clinical correlates. Lippincott should be the next Pope.

Smart-

Good luck at McGill, friend. I'm an OT starting at Stony Brook later. I'm in the exact same rehab boat as you - worried about biochem.

Supa-

Ya think that the BRS Biochem book is a decent review, or should I get that Lippincott?

dc

Lippincott, Lippincott, Lippincott.

End of Story.

donnyfire said:
Lippincott, Lippincott, Lippincott.

End of Story.

Don't get me wrong here... BRS isn't bad, **IF** you already kindof know biochem. It's a review book. For learning though, you do need a little more. Still, a full biochem text is WAY too complicated and will bury you trying to read and understand everything without a background. You need something in between.

Lippincott goes through and explains everything and has pretty pictures. It's a longer read, but it accomplishes being a review and a text all in one.

I have a biochem background and still like Lippincott better than anything else out there. I left my biochem text on the shelf to collect dust & admittedly photocopied some practice tests from BRS. But the Lippincott is incredibly good.

So... Lippincott.

BRS biochemistry. easy to understand, if you've had regular chemistry.