Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any recommendations for a supplimentary book? Right now I'm leaning BRS b/c of the questions. Has anybody had any great success with something else?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ithink Harbers biochemistry is the best book

Members don't see this ad :)
Lippencott's Illustrated Reviews are pretty good, especially if you like pictures and charts. I have also been using "Basic Medical Biochemistry, A Clinical Approach" by Marks. The names of the "patients" are a little hokey (Al Martini, who has a drinking problem, Cora Nari, with heart problems . . .) but I think the explanations are well written.

We were given Lippincott with our first-term books. I would recommend buying it if it's not required. BRS has also been really good for helping to simplify concepts.

The Lippincotts is great, LOTS of information and the colors aren't a bad thing at all.

I dislike the harpers, and it's just there collecting dust right now.

i recommend the meisenberg or kaplan...even though you might think kaplan maybe be condensed, it is a very well written book....

Lippencott has yet to fail me.... they manage to explain concepts the way a medical student should be able to explain them... not the way a PhD should to his/her pupils :)

It's cheap too and will probably serve you well for the boards later on.

I agree that harpers is useless. It is great for an indepth look at biochemistry but for typical medical school knowledge, its too indepth and not very well written IMO. Lippincott's is by far a better biochem text