Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no desire to take this class but I know that some schools require it (Umich). My question is, is it ok to just take 1 semester of biochem? My school only offers the biochem 1&2 for majors course and I dont really want to tie a whole year up studying for something I dont need. Anybody, know the specific requirements and which schools require biochem?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same question as well. Also, can anyone give an approximation of how much time biochem sucks up (relative to say organic)?

I'm sure that there are some requiring an entire year, but I don't believe that most do.

I found biochem to be more straightforward than organic.

Members don't see this ad :)
one semester comprehensive intro of biochem is all that is required at umich. it was all i took and i found it more than sufficient. some schools take two semesters to cover that info; all umich undergrad intro biochem classes are 1 year, unless you're a biochem/chem major and then they take a 2 semester one w/labs.

Originally posted by Cerberus
I have no desire to take this class but I know that some schools require it (Umich). My question is, is it ok to just take 1 semester of biochem? My school only offers the biochem 1&2 for majors course and I dont really want to tie a whole year up studying for something I dont need. Anybody, know the specific requirements and which schools require biochem?

Our premed office says that biochemistry is a de facto requirement at most top schools anyway. It is definitely worth taking, and from what I hear, fairly helpful in establishing familiarity with the material during med school biochem.

I never had time for biochem as an undergrad but knew it would be helpful for med school. I am taking it now and LOVE IT. It is so human based. We go over stuff and then relate it all back to the human body and what things do, how things are affected, etc... I would highly recommend it.

Now that said.... I would HIGLY recommend taking from a non-chemistry professor unless chemistry is your major. Biology profs teach this class sooooo much better and you get more out of the class that can be helpful in your MSI year. Our instructor is awesome!!!! It brings together ALL the things I have larned in 4 years of being a bio major and clears up a whole bunch of things.

Like I never knew that there were more than 20 amino acids. I thought that was all. Now I know differently. You find out what the Omega 3 and 6 stand for (the last C in the lipid chain is named the "omega carbon). I had heard about how important the Omega 3's are for you diet, but I had no idea what this was talking about, until now.

There is a lot of work, but no more than most upper level science courses. Plus med school is lot of work thrown at you all at once, so you might as well get some practice in.:cool:

Oh, and I might mention i have a lot of friends who are now MSII and they recommend 2 course to take BEFORE med school
1) Biochem (biology based and taught)
2) Histology

The schools I've been looking at that require or suggest biochemistry all say 1 semester, so I think just taking the first semester should be fine.

I made the mistake of taking the year-long sequence for biochem emphasisers (? the molecular biology major has an emphasis in biochem. what do you call these people?). Don't do it, man! Everything conceptual you'll get in the semester course. The year-long sequence is a bunch of additional memorization that you're just going to forget. I'm pretty sure that no one will expect a full year of biochem.

I echo the statements of Amy B, I've had the same experience in the class and friends in med school say by having taken the class they can focus their studying on other classes (like anatomy or histology!)

Regarding 1 semester vs. 2, I think most schools require one semester, so that should cover it. But I remember reading on the boards that someone was accepted to med school but did not take biochem and was forced to do so during the summer before MSI.

G'Luck

one quarter/semester was enough at every school i applied to. a lot didn't require it at all.

Did you guys use the Lehninger book for Biochemistry when you took it in undergrad? (Yes, I know...there are many intro level textbooks for this subject).

i used lehninger.

is there anything cheaper than Lehninger

i'm taking biochem right now b/c i'm applying to umich and mayo...otherwise i probably wouldn't have taken it. the one semester course is all that's required in umich as everyone's been saying. same w/mayo.

as for biochem...we're just beginning right now but so far it's so-so....we're on thermodynamics and kinetics (aargh!!! i hate that stuff!!! if i see one more delta g...). *yaaaawnnn* plus i haaaaate garrett & grishman. it's in the thesarus as a synonym for "dry, arcane, snobby, know-it-all textbook". i guess i got spoiled by wade for o-chem. but i think it'll get better once we actually start getting to human systems. (hopefully?) so far it's a lot of memorization. but so was physiology, and i liked that *much* better. i wish the school i'm at offered metabolism (my alma mater did...). from the course description, it's essentially biochem I w/a complete human slant.

okay, enough ranting for now. whoever's taking biochem right now--i feel your pain, but hang in there--it's only a few months more!

my prof used Lehninger, too. that is probably the best science textbook I've ever used. it explains everything so well. what do you guys think?

schools i considered applying to last year that required biochem (umich, mayo, usc, uci) only required 1 semester. i'm in the midst of biochem right now in med school, and i must admit it is not that bad. i was not looking forward to it at all, but it much more interesting than i was expecting.

Our school does not offer a 1-semester biochem course, they only offer a 2-semester BCMB sequence. Do you think it would be okay to just take only one of the classes from the two-class sequence? I would like to apply to UMich and Mayo as well.

I'm using Lehniger right now. I think it's fine. After all the hype though, about how it's the greatest bioc text ever, I'm somewhat disappointed.