biochemistry - does it count as bio or chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enfuego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school offers 2 versions of biochemistry - one through the biology department, and one through the chemistry department. I am taking the chemistry department's version of biochem.

Some dental schools require 3 or 4 semesters of biology, so 1 or 2 extra semesters of bio in addition to the bio1 and bio2 intro classes.
Am I right to assume that my chem version of biochemistry will NOT fulfill the biology requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My school offers 2 versions of biochemistry - one through the biology department, and one through the chemistry department. I am taking the chemistry department's version of biochem.

Some dental schools require 3 or 4 semesters of biology, so 1 or 2 extra semesters of bio in addition to the bio1 and bio2 intro classes.
Am I right to assume that my chem version of biochemistry will NOT fulfill the biology requirement?
I think it can go either way. As a biology major, I received Biology credit. However, I know it's mandatory for chemistry majors, who most likely receive chemistry credit (i'm not sure about that though). Besides the first section of biochem (acid/ base chemistry), the majority of the concepts seem to focus on biology

Besides the first section of biochem (acid/ base chemistry), the majority of the concepts seem to focus on biology

I agree, it's the same in my class. I'm just wondering if they won't count it as biology for me since my school offers a biology version.

The reason I didn't take the bio version, though, is because it has a KILLER lab with it , and dental schools don't require lab with biochem. The chemistry version does not have lab. That's the only reason I took chem over bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know of any schools requiring more than 2 semesters of biology. (bio 1 and bio 2). Some schools accept zoology and microbiology or cell biology instead of general bio though.

Alot of schools want upper division science classes. I dont know if those are necessarily supposed to be bio classes even though alot of them are.

I would think biochemistry given by the chem department will satisfy upper division requirements.

If you could show us specific school websites it would be easier.

I've also never heard of a school requiring extra bio credits specifically... however, if it's a chem class, it will not fufill any bio credit requirement (seems pretty obvious).

Chemistry.

In biochemistry there are only the first 3 letters of biology but it has all of chemistry.

I don't know of any schools requiring more than 2 semesters of biology. (bio 1 and bio 2). Some schools accept zoology and microbiology or cell biology instead of general bio though.
I've also never heard of a school requiring extra bio credits specifically.

I'm not applying anytime soon, but I looked up requirements of schools that I might consider applying to:

Alabama - 3 semesters of bio
UOP - 4 semesters of bio
NOVA - 4 semesters of bio (2 regulat semesters and 2 additional classes from a provided list)
Louisville - 4 semesters of bio
BU - 3 semesters of bio
Tennesee - 3 semesters of bio (2 regular semesters 1 additional class from a provided list)

That does not include recommendations to take various other upper-level classes. These are requirements. I'm sure there are other schools I didn't look up that also require extra biology. But please correct me if I'm wrong about any of the school requirements I listed because that would save me a lot of hassle when I plan my class schedules.

if you look at that application categorizations of classes, it says if it is under the category of the department that offers it; therefore, chemistry in your case.

and biochem is kind of a separate entity (doesn't usually count towards bio) --- the classes they're talking about are genetics, cell molec, anatomy, physiology, even ecology... hope this helps

That depends. I asked AADSAS and they told me if the class is offer under the CHEM depart then it's a chem class, if it's under the bio depart then it's a bio class.

That depends. I asked AADSAS and they told me if the class is offer under the CHEM depart then it's a chem class, if it's under the bio depart then it's a bio class.
That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming for me!

I'm not applying anytime soon, but I looked up requirements of schools that I might consider applying to:

Alabama - 3 semesters of bio
UOP - 4 semesters of bio
NOVA - 4 semesters of bio (2 regulat semesters and 2 additional classes from a provided list)
Louisville - 4 semesters of bio
BU - 3 semesters of bio
Tennesee - 3 semesters of bio (2 regular semesters 1 additional class from a provided list)

That does not include recommendations to take various other upper-level classes. These are requirements. I'm sure there are other schools I didn't look up that also require extra biology. But please correct me if I'm wrong about any of the school requirements I listed because that would save me a lot of hassle when I plan my class schedules.

There really aren't any more than 2 semesters of general biology, and the schools that required more than 2 semesters of "biology" all seemed to count my upper division biology classes (micro, genetics, etc) as counting for that. I really wouldn't worry about this very much. Though I'm extremely confident that your biochem through the chem department will count, I'd suggest you call a school or two - I know Pitt is now requiring biochem this year, so it's something more and more schools are looking at.

There really aren't any more than 2 semesters of general biology, and the schools that required more than 2 semesters of "biology" all seemed to count my upper division biology classes (micro, genetics, etc) as counting for that. I really wouldn't worry about this very much. Though I'm extremely confident that your biochem through the chem department will count, I'd suggest you call a school or two - I know Pitt is now requiring biochem this year, so it's something more and more schools are looking at.
Well, I'm a non-science major, so I have to consciously think about this. I don't have random major classes that would count as science/biology. The only science classes I take are the ones that fulfill pre-dental requirements. I have taken 2 upper-level sciences - one is a biology class, and the other is biochemistry. If biochem doesn't count, then I need to take one more biology course.

The other thing I noticed is that most schools either listed biochem as a separate requirement, or they mentioned biochem as a chemistry class (by saying biochem could serve as an alternative to orgo, or that student should consider taking advance chem classes like biochem). That's when I started thinking my biochem class wouldn't count as biology.

Thanks for that suggestion, though. I will call a few schools and ask them about it.

Well, I'm a non-science major, so I have to consciously think about this. I don't have random major classes that would count as science/biology. The only science classes I take are the ones that fulfill pre-dental requirements. I have taken 2 upper-level sciences - one is a biology class, and the other is biochemistry. If biochem doesn't count, then I need to take one more biology course.

The other thing I noticed is that most schools either listed biochem as a separate requirement, or they mentioned biochem as a chemistry class (by saying biochem could serve as an alternative to orgo, or that student should consider taking advance chem classes like biochem). That's when I started thinking my biochem class wouldn't count as biology.

Thanks for that suggestion, though. I will call a few schools and ask them about it.

Hmmm... I see what you mean, that could be a bit of a sticky situation. Were you planning on taking say Micro or genetics though?

The classification is really annoying, because it's basically both

I was a biochem major (which was within the school of molecular biology at my school), but I always considered it more chem than bio, it's essentially chemistry applied to biological systems, that's it...

i took additional molecular, cell and other bio classes cuz I didn't know whether my biochem classes count as bio

Last edited: