Biochemistry for *****s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to study for the biochemistry board exam? Which are the best books for an idiot to use to study for this section?

Members don't see this ad.

Id say the Kaplan review book is the best, Lippincott just seems to long, some swear by the short Hi Yield series, but I believe you have to augment it with Molecular Bio or Hi yield Cell an Molecular Bio. Also the biochem qs in KaplanQbook and Q bank should be helpful. You can probably get the Kaplan review book on Ebay. Hope this helps.
Perhaps I misunderstood, this info is for Step1 USMLE.

It's actually to try and get out of biochem my MS1 year. I was a biochem major in undergrad. One of the schools I have applied to has the option of a person taking the biochem portion of the USMLE 1 and if they pass it then they don't have to do biochem. The problem is I fully realize that biochem in undergrad and even at the grad school level is different from biochem in medical school.

Why would you do this? Just the social ramifications would change my mind. Plus biochem is so integral for path and pharm that it is nice to get a solid medical biochem foundation. (personal opinion).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I would benefit for taking a smaller class load. What sort of social ramifications are you refering to? I dont' think I'd be blackballed if it turned out that I got out of biochem. Plus this is only a chance I'm taking. It's entirely possible I would end up failing the step 1 part of biochem, in which case I would still have to take biochem. I would like to know that I gave it a shot though.

In addition Id augment the above books I mentioned with either Stryer or Leninger as reference. Good luck ( Also Id forget what they say about you or the social implications because they're probably jealous and probably struggling just trying to carry their own weight.)

Originally posted by mjl1717
In addition Id augment the above books I mentioned with either Stryer or Leninger as reference. Good luck ( Also Id forget what they say about you or the social implications because they're probably jealous and probably struggling just trying to carry their own weight.)

Don't underestimate how whiney and infantile some of your classmates can be. People will bitch, moan, and possibly treat you differently if you place out of a class. Really, they should mind their own business....oh well.

Trust me, if you display any differences at all as far as class load, the ostracism will outweigh whatever benefit you would get by not having to attend this class a few hours a week. Petty, yes...but the truth.

Originally posted by mjl1717

And they are also the people with whom you will be building your foundation of medicine. Dont underestimate that. Mosby's has a Rapid Review Biochem book that is pretty recently published (by Goljan) and it is a great outline format book.

Megalofyia, this is probably irrelevant, but are you Greek?

I'm not greek. My real name is but I'm not. I just like the word megalofyia, and it's also a word that is always available as a screen name. ;)

Thank you for the book suggestions. Like I said earlier there's a huge chance I won't even pass the biochem section of the test but I would like to think I gave it a shot. Worst comes to worst and I pass and people get aggitated about that I'll tell them I'm an idiot and I have to take it the following year. Or something like that. :)

hi,
Well i am planning to stick with kaplan notes almost exclusively.I dont have the time(or the patience to go over lippincott's) Anyway if u have a better idea let me know.:confused: