Biochemistry majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rafael Cavalcan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
This is the first time I post in SDN. I was just wondering how hard does biochemistry classes get? Is there any advantages to be a biochem major when you apply to medical school? I'm still a freshman and I was thinking about maloring in Biochem.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am a biochem major. I think it is beneficial just because so many people are bio majors that it makes you a little different. As far as how hard the classes are, I think that is all relative. Most bio majors I know take a biochem class anyway because it is so helpful for med school and also for the mcat. The biggest problem I have with biochem is 1 year of physical chemistry is required at my school. Your school may be different, but this is definitely the most difficult and also useless part of biochem, but if you take it when you are a senior like I am, the grade you get isn't too important.

Biochem is a difficult major and I can say that because I was a Biochem/Micro/Molecular major and it was definitely harder than the other 2. You need to be very good at math and physics to cut it in a chem major. You also have to thoroughly enjoy chemistry of all sorts (stuff you really have no experience with yet, like physical and analytical). Be prepared to study alot and devote alot of your free time to preparing for class and exams. I really enjoyed it though, and I'm glad that I have the Biochem background. If your goal is to go to med school, then just be aware that some of the required classes in Biochem can really hurt your GPA (like P Chem is very, very difficult)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies, but by majoring in Biochem and if I have the same gpa as in another major, does it increase my chances?

Thank you

I think it is an advangtage to take biochem/major in biochem. i was a biochem major and like the other post said, chemistry/biochem majors are in the minority when looking at med school applicants.

plus, biochem is a requirement at some places

but - don't pick a major because you think it will help you get into med school, pick a major because you like it. maybe when you finish undergrad you won't even want to pursue med school. you never know.

What will increase your chances is majoring in something you thoroughly enjoy. You will naturally have a high GPA and have done a lot of in depth work in that field. That ultimately, regardless of what subject it is in, will get you into medical school.

I have been told though from friends, so take it with a grain of salt, that majoring in Biochem is treated as majoring in chemistry essentially. Medical schools don't really care what your highly specialized degree is, they will just think of it as Chemistry or Biology. So you will essentially be "competing" against other Chem majors. Of what importance this is, I'm not sure, but I am willing to bet it is relatively unimportant.

Yes, I agree with Aegis, biochem is basically a chem major. At Miami, the only difference is a few electives. I don't think that it gives you a real advantage. For me it was a good choice because I wanted to do MD/PhD and having the broad science background has helped me immensely in my research endeavors. Goodluck with your choice.

I'm a biochem major and my dean of health professions told me that a high GPA in biochem will help me because med schools know that it's a harder major.

Yea, Miami used to say stuff like that too when they were pushing their new BS in Biochem. Yes, it is harder than a Bio degree (and before anyone gets their pants in a bunch, I can say that because I have both) but it is not harder than most chem degrees because as I posted before, there isn't that much of a difference.

Change your major to mathematics...

Just here to show love for the Biochemistry major. I was actually better off with biochem than bio just b/c I couldn't sit through crap like ecology and biodiversity (BIOS 302 and BIOS 204 for my NE peeps). You've got to have solid chem and bio skills to do well in biochem. I think excercise science might be a good way to go too. Peace.

i'm a biochem major...its cool. Everyone does bio so you have alot of people to compete with and most bio majors have insanely high GPAs.. as a biochem major, I think ad coms are a little more generous.:p

I would like to point out that no one has presented any stats differentiating between all these sciences. There's a reason for this, I don't think there are any. The fact is, medical schools DO have statistics by major class (like biological sciences, physical sciences, humanities, social science, etc). I would imagine that these stats exist in this format because medical schools like grouping majors this way.

Also many schools don't offer biochemistry as a major, but as a concentration. Some offer the coursework without the designation on the transcript at all.

I would imagine that biochemistry would be lumped into chemistry and the biological sciences. That being said, I really dont think there is a huge difference between a chem major and a biochem major, or a bio major and a biochem major (since biochem lies intermediate to those two, depending on curriculum structure).

If you love biochem, by all means take it, but take any advice that "this major is known to be hard and will help you get into medical school." More often than not, using this as a primary reason will leave you unhappy and with a poor grades. Just do whatever interests you, when it comes admissions time, the difference between the science majors is minimal.

I'm a BioChem major (although I haven't taken a BioChem class yet, lol) and at my school, it's a joint major. I have to take nearly all the classes required for bio majors and chem majors, with a few differences. When bio majors take animal physiology and zoology, I get to take microbiology and biochemistry (both of which interest me more) and the only class chem majors take that I don't is quantum mechanics. So, it really is the work of two majors and there are many more required classes, which forces me to take up to 3 labs and 5 classes a semester in order to complete all of my requirements. I also have to take classes like A&P as an elective b/c it isn't in my major, but I don't mind too much. At schools like mine, biochem really is harder....but for me, that's not a problem b/c I love it. Choose your major according to your interests, just like others have said. Otherwise, you'll be miserable.

Originally posted by AegisZero
I would like to point out that no one has presented any stats differentiating between all these sciences. There's a reason for this, I don't think there are any.

According to the 2003-2003 MSAR:

13,226 Biology Majors applied, 44.7% accepted
1,877 Chemistry Majors applied, 50.1% accepted
2,170 Biochem Majors applied, 49.2% accepted

So you can see the percentages aren't drastically different, but the number of bio majors is much higher.