Biochemistry/Microbiology, BCP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UW09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my school biochem is offered through the biochem department and microbiology is offered through the microbio department...are these calculated into the BCP?

Members don't see this ad.

I think they just fall into the science GPA. BCP is for like basic pre-reqs like intro bio, chem, and physics. the upper divs fall under science GPA.

that's what I was thinking as well...another related question; when they calculate all the different GPAs (BCP, other sci, non-sci) do they combine your grades at the schools (if you attended two) or do they give separate GPAs for each school?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i'm pretty sure they'll be combined. (I think) your overall gpa at one school will be calculated with the gpa you currently have at the school you're attending.

I think they just fall into the science GPA. BCP is for like basic pre-reqs like intro bio, chem, and physics. the upper divs fall under science GPA.

I thought BCP was all hard sciences (upper-levels too), and Science GPA included extra things like nutrition and astronomy and environmental sciences.

Any class that is offered by your biology, chemistry, or physics departments will be calculated into your BCP, not just the basic ones. When you enter your grades into AADSAS you select whether your class was biology, chemistry, physics, other science, or non-science. All of this gets verified once you send in your transcripts. I would GUESS that you could include your micro as a biology class and your biochem as a chemistry class.

Any class that is offered by your biology, chemistry, or physics departments will be calculated into your BCP, not just the basic ones. When you enter your grades into AADSAS you select whether your class was biology, chemistry, physics, other science, or non-science. All of this gets verified once you send in your transcripts. I would GUESS that you could include your micro as a biology class and your biochem as a chemistry class.

I agree,
Any kinda chemistry like Biochem, Ochem, Pchem, etc ---> Chemistry...
Any kinda biology like Micro, plant, animal, anatomy, physio ---> Biology...
All these fall into BCP...
And other Science includes nutrition, math, etc...

I agree,
Any kinda chemistry like Biochem, Ochem, Pchem, etc ---> Chemistry...
Any kinda biology like Micro, plant, animal, anatomy, physio ---> Biology...
All these fall into BCP...
And other Science includes nutrition, math, etc...

^ if biochemistry offer by biology departements it will count biology course. but in big picture it won't be any different.

Yeah, I was under the impression that all biology, chemistry, and physics class (including upper division classes) are included in the BCP GPA. And the science GPA includes all those classes and math. Does anyone know for sure?

so I'm assuming if biochemistry and microbiology are not offered through the chem/bio department we don't classify them as chem/bio? the manual doesn't really mention that.

edit: misread the manual...looks like microbiology would be BCP even if offered through the microbiology department...it would be nice if someone could confirm this; still a little confused about biochem and whether to include it in bio, chem, or other sci

hopefully someone for the UW can clarify this?

Last edited:
I can't believe they don't count Physical Chemistry as Chemistry. It's offered by my school's Chemistry department, and, unsurprisingly, it's pure chemistry.

I can't believe they don't count Physical Chemistry as Chemistry. It's offered by my school's Chemistry department, and, unsurprisingly, it's pure chemistry.

Who said P-chem doesn't count? If it is offered by your schools chemistry department, it is counted as a chemistry class on AADSAS.

I have a question, does independent study count into BCP gpa? I've done a search on SDN and I've found in the pre-allopathic section that independent study offered from a chem/bio dept can be counted toward BCP, is this the same for dental?

enfuego posted this link:

http://www5.adea.org/WebDocs/AADSAS/...structions.pdf

On page 21, Physical Chemistry is not listed under the Chemistry section for BCP. Physical Sciences, however, is listed under "Other Science."

Taken from that manual:

Chemistry:​
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
Examples:
.​
.​
Biochemistry (if offered by a chemistry department) Chemistry General Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Organic Chemistry
Chemistry for Engineering Majors (offered through engineering programs)​
.​
.​

To help you out, here is the definition of an example taken from dictionary.com:
example - one of a number of things, or a part of something, taken to show the character of the whole: This painting is an example of his early work.

If a class is offered by your chemistry department, it is a chemistry class to be included in your BCP. If your Biology department has a 1 credit professional school prep class that you take, it is included in your BCP because it is, for all intents and purposes, a biology class.

Taken from that manual:

Chemistry:​
Examples:
.​
.​
Biochemistry (if offered by a chemistry department) Chemistry General Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Organic Chemistry
Chemistry for Engineering Majors (offered through engineering programs)​
.​
.​

To help you out, here is the definition of an example taken from dictionary.com:
example - one of a number of things, or a part of something, taken to show the character of the whole: This painting is an example of his early work.

If a class is offered by your chemistry department, it is a chemistry class to be included in your BCP. If your Biology department has a 1 credit professional school prep class that you take, it is included in your BCP because it is, for all intents and purposes, a biology class.

I just overlooked the word, "example." You don't need to be so patronizing.