Biochemistry or Cell Biology for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawkeye21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which class proved most helpful on the MCAT, Cell Biology or Biochemistry? I've taken microbiology, physiology and genetics in addition to the core requisites...I'm just wondering if either of these upper-level science courses will be worth my time, if I'm taking them specifically for the MCAT. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...especially advice from those who just took the MCAT.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Biochem, hands down. Do a search to find previous posts on this topic (it has been discussed at great length in the past).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I've said this many times on this site. If you're going to take one upper-level bio course and you want to do well on the MCAT, you should take molecular cell biology.

The biochem, physiology and Mendelian genetics on the MCAT are not of tremendously high level. As long as you study through Kaplan or PR science book, you should be fine with those. On the other hand, I've come across some pretty complicated and convoluted passages on intracellular signaling and biotechnology techniques that I would've had hard time comprehending if it weren't for the MCB class.

I felt much safer on MCAT after I have taken Biochem. Molecular Cell Bio, Physiology are classes that I am planning to take soon. I had quite hard Genetics on my test. If I did not take Genetics clss, I would've probably screwed most of the questions up for that passage.

take biochem, it will reinforce a lot of the subjects that are just lightly gone over in gen. chem and organic chem, as well as present new, valuable info that will help on the MCAT (at least it did in my experience). In terms of cell biology, it is a good class, but nothing you learn in the class will be on the MCAT. The cell bio course I took was very specific regarding pathways and specific kinases/phosphatases, you will not need to know any of that on the MCAT. Hope this helps! :)

biochem is important to nail down some pathways just in case they show up...aren't genetics and molecular/cell requirements at your schools?

When I referred to requisites...I meant for medical school. Yeah, genetics is required for premeds at my school. :)

I did both, and a bit more of immunology, physio etc etc etc...I will never forget my Biochem stuff b/c of the way it was taught to me, and how the content reinforced what I already knew. Even the questions on the MCAT, seem to have this "hidden requirement" of Biochem. All the enzyme cascades, feed forward, feedback inhibition, enzymes, hemoglobin/immunology, DNA/RNA crap you learn about earlier that may have been a bit hazy earlier....well, it's gonna be crystal clear after Biochem.

Hands down, take Biochem.

Are you guys all serious?!! Most of the biochem stuff I saw on the MCAT was the kind of stuff you could've answered if you'd thouroughly read the PR Science Review. But didn't you guys come across some crazy MCB passages on immunoprecipitation, cellular signaling and vector cloning?

Well, it looks like the vote is 15-1 in favor of biochem, so don't listen to me.

I'd say biochem, but I'm a little biased (my major is biochemistry :wink: ). The things I learned in cell were important, but I felt that I used more of my pathway/DNA stuff from biochem on my test form.

Look at who is teaching the class - are you more likely to learn more from one professor then the other? Whichever you take, get the basics down, and it'll make the other one easier. Good Luck!