Biochemistry or Microbiology..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLY

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Picking a major:

After this semester I will have accumulated ~80 hours of college classes in various disciplines and it's finally time for me to declare me a major..

After going through, Bio, Art, Art History, Math, Bio Med Engineering., Bio Engine. & after spending 4 semesters at 3 different schools...I finally cut it down to 2 choices..

I am going to base my choice or preference on which major will help me the most on MCAT (not on which one is easy).. I know all the introductory BCP classes would work fine on MCAT, but I like to get some extra grasp on sciences and I love Bio and may be it would help me out a little in med school too.

Classes that I need for both majors.
Principles of Genetics
Cell Biology
Principles of BioChem
General Microbiology
Intro to BioChem Lab.(2 hour class)

Other classes for a B.S. ...

BioChem classes.
Metabolism & Molecular bio
Adv. BioChem Lab or Research
Intro to Physical Chemistry
General Micro Bio lab.(4 hours). (seems weird.)
& 2 more BioChem electives.

MicroBio Classes
Medical MicroBio
Senior Seminar in MB
Metabolic Regulation
& 2 more MB electives

I think the my weakest subject is Inorganic chemistry and thats why I am leaning towards BioChem, so that I will do ok on the MCAT with it..

So, guys.. if you read through all this... please let me know which one would you choose based on the classes listed or on your personal experience..

It will be greatly appreciated...and Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Fly,

Well I'm a tried and tried and TRIED Microbiology and Immunology major. That's neat that you've taken all those classes...but I'd say you probably already know the decision in what you REALLY want to major in. As far as science and the MCAT is concerned, I've heard and also experienced that Biochemistry is helpful, but aside from a regular class I don't know how much other higher level (and tougher) classes would help you. Instead of focusing which will help you most on the MCAT (truth is a REVIEW COURSE, Princeton, Kaplan, is what WILL help tremendously) why don't you pick a major that you think you would actually enjoy. I picked Micro because I loved, lol, and still love microorganisms and I enjoyed learning about the immune system, parasites, and all the other cool stuff Micro has to offer. So perhaps you can find such a 'love' in BCH or MIC and put that fiiiirst before whatever you think will help you out the most on your MCAT. After all, you don't want to pick out some boring zzzzzzzz (BCH, just kidding! LOL) major...

Take care and good luck!

•••quote:••• why don't you pick a major that you think you would actually enjoy. I picked Micro because I loved, lol, and still love microorganisms and I enjoyed learning about the immune system, parasites, and all the other cool stuff Micro has to offer. ••••To be honest.. the only thing that I know about microbiology is that you study the small side of bio.. and you use a microscope..

And as far as what is BioChem.. whenever I did a search on yahoo/google "what is biochemistry", to find what it really is.. they have all this bioChem society sites and all the college course websites popping up.. but no real explanation as to what it is.. I think I should check out coupla books from Lib..

But I think I will take both those classes since I need them both either way. .and see what they really are...

Members don't see this ad :)
FLY,

I'll go with biochem. The med school admission people are usually impressed with biochem. I had one biochem class offered by my chemistry department and I think they liked it. It will also help you a tit-bit on the MCAT and in med school, but nothing significant. The MSTPs at the school I'll be in the fall usually skip biochem, but I'm not that confident. I think I'll go ahead and take it with the rest of the class. Anyway, I would go with biochem over micro. Good luck.

After one year in poli sci and two and a half years in veterinary science, I added a micro major. I love microbiology. I had already taken intro to metabolic and protein biochem and nucleic acid biochem and general micro when I made this decision. What kept me out of biochem was that vector caluclus is a requirement for that major here. I'm really good at math, but I hate it. I am a lot better at o-chem than I am at gen chem, but I was taking analytical chemistry the semester I took the MCAT (as well as Kaplan) so I was well prepared for it. A-chem builds on most of the gen chem properties and concepts.

Anyway, Michelys is right. Pick whichever one you will enjoy the most-- for me that was all the pathogenic virology and bacteriology electives. I really love host/organism interactions. If I wasn't going to med school, I'd get my masters and then go work for NASA, the CIA, or the CDC. Well, at least I would apply :wink: If you study hard and get help (tutoring, prep course, etc.), you should strenthen your gen chem skills enough to score well on the MCAT. You just have to work hard and take practice tests.

Is the Analytical Chemistry same as Physical Chemistry?

No, it's not. Analytical chemistry dealt mostly with complex acids and bases. I never took p-chem, so I'm not quite sure what it's all about, but I know it's very different than a-chem.