Biochemistry over the summer and studying for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HCW212

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I can't decide. I just found out a school I wish to apply to in the near future requires Biochemistry. This summer, I planned on just studying for the MCAT and taking it early/mid August.

To cut to chase, would it be a good idea to take Biochemistry over the summer (classes everyday from mid May to mid August) WHILE studying for the MCAT, or would it interfere?

On one hand, I figured it sort of is studying at the same time, since it does involve biology. However, biology is probably my weakest strength, and thought maybe it will demand too much time and effort. But then again, I figured taking it over the summer would provide me with extra knowledge for the MCAT, and if I took it in the Fall rather than the summer after taking the MCAT, then I would feel I missed a chance to up my knowledge.

What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't think you can handle more than one time consuming challenge at a time, then may I suggest you rethink your career choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
u DO learn a lot in biochem that is relevant to MCAT BS section...

but if u also have to worry about getting a good grade in the class while studying for MCAT...

it might be a little too much...

definitely doable...

but it will be a hell of a summer...

Weakest strength? Biochem will help a little for the MCAT, but not enough to offset the distraction. Prereqs are required before matriculation (not application), so just wait to take it in fall or spring of senior year.

Alright, thanks for the replies.

If you don't think you can handle more than one time consuming challenge at a time, then may I suggest you rethink your career choice?

Seriously. I worked full time, had a three hour commute, and was taking MCAT classes....yet I did just fine. You can't expect to be able to drop everything in life to study for a test.

Besides, won't you go crazy studying all the time?