Biochemistry, Psychobio, or Neuroscience? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karbon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Chemical Engineering major at UCLA but I've recently been contemplating change. I've heard nothing but horror stories about Chemical Engineering in general and the impact it has on GPA. Three other majors I have been deciding between are:

Biochemistry

Neuroscience

Psychobio

I am most interested in Biochemistry, but the Chem 20 series (which I would be forced to take) is supposed to be a lot more difficult than the Chem 14 series, which I could take as any of the other two majors.

All have the con of poor job/salary prospects with only a bachelors, but what are the other pros and cons, from a premed's perspective? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a Chemical Engineering major at UCLA but I've recently been contemplating change. I've heard nothing but horror stories about Chemical Engineering in general and the impact it has on GPA. Three other majors I have been deciding between are:

Biochemistry

Neuroscience

Psychobio

I am most interested in Biochemistry, but the Chem 20 series (which I would be forced to take) is supposed to be a lot more difficult than the Chem 14 series, which I could take as any of the other two majors.

All have the con of poor job/salary prospects with only a bachelors, but what are the other pros and cons, from a premed's perspective? Help!

I just finished UCLA with as PhySci, and I did the 30 series chem (the 20 are Gchem, its the 30a, b, c that 30bl, and 30cl that destroy you) are a waste of time if you're gonna be going to medschool. If I could go back and redo my bachelors, I would definately do Psychobio, cuz not only is it easy , but you have a lot of freedom as to what classes you can take! forget Biochemistry cuz it will be just as hard as ChemEng. you'll have to take biochem 153a, b, c and all the labs and all of 30 series ochem! stick to pychobio, or if you want something more challenging then neuroscience or physci! and don't bother with the 30 series chemistry just do the 14 series! good luck.

Do yourself the biggest favor and switch to psychobiology. trrusst me. It's one of the easiest ucla science majors.

I have a lot of friends who are in UCLA with all three of those majors and the psychobios are thriving. Neuroscience is waay to much work and who wants to be stuck with biochem? It's pretty hard. Just go with psychobiology. You'll thank yourself later for this!

I'm transferring to UCLA soon :) See ya there!

Members don't see this ad :)
ever consider BioE? it's lovely. more interesting and fun than ChemE plus your intro engr courses won't be wasted

If you're looking for the easy way out, then don't go into neuroscience. If you're looking for a cool as hell major though, ignore my last sentence.

I was a psychosis major for a year in undergrad and I loved it. I changed for a stupid reason and I wish I had stayed an extra year to change back and get my degree in that instead.

The only neuro class my school offered was far and away the most difficult class I have ever taken (I'm more proud of the BA I received in neuro than any A that I earned in orgo or physics). However it was also the most interesting class I have ever taken, so much so that I would have changed my major to neuroscience had my school provided it.

I could definitely go for Neuroscience, and Psychobio sounds like it would be very dull. How about Physical Science? I'm not quite sure what it entails, only that it's full of premeds. Is it easier, harder, or about the same as Neuro and Biochem?

I just finished UCLA with as PhySci, and I did the 30 series chem (the 20 are Gchem, its the 30a, b, c that 30bl, and 30cl that destroy you) are a waste of time if you're gonna be going to medschool. If I could go back and redo my bachelors, I would definately do Psychobio, cuz not only is it easy , but you have a lot of freedom as to what classes you can take! forget Biochemistry cuz it will be just as hard as ChemEng. you'll have to take biochem 153a, b, c and all the labs and all of 30 series ochem! stick to pychobio, or if you want something more challenging then neuroscience or physci! and don't bother with the 30 series chemistry just do the 14 series! good luck.

I'm new to these forums, so don't shoot me if this is some sort of taboo but

What was your GPA and did you get into med school?

I majored in psychology and minored in chemistry and biological science. Psychbio and Neuroscience are very closely related. Neuroscience is a interdisciplinary field, but it's not as difficult as biochemistry IMO.