Biochemistry requirement and SMP classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Helpful Aye Aye

I'm not so grump
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm in a postbacc (GPA enhancement kind) and have preferentially taken a higher-credit Physiology course as opposed to Biochemistry. I understand that certain schools require Biochem, but if I'm going to an SMP that has classes that covers med school Biochem will that suffice? These are medical school classes with med students, so assuming I do well there's no logical argument that I need intro biochemistry as a means predicting my success in a medical school course that integrates biochem... because I will have already taken such a course.

http://www.med.uc.edu/physiology/MS-curriculum.htm

That said, admissions isn't always logical. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You may as well take biochem. SMPs are already a huge gamble, so come into it as prepped as possible.

Point being, the semester's already started and the option to conveniently take biochem is gone. Do you think my argument holds?

Members don't see this ad :)
True story: Biochemistry on the medical level is child's play, and only a means to an end. You will not be folding any proteins or worrying about any biophysical-dependent processes (e.g., how can a passive channel be specific for K+ and not allow a smaller Na+ molecule to go through?).

I think you're in the clear. Honestly, I predict you won't even realize you're doing biochemistry when it hits you. It'll look like you're learning pathways like Krebs cycle or signal cascades.

True story: Biochemistry on the medical level is child's play, and only a means to an end. You will not be folding any proteins or worrying about any biophysical-dependent processes (e.g., how can a passive channel be specific for K+ and not allow a smaller Na+ molecule to go through?).

I think you're in the clear. Honestly, I predict you won't even realize you're doing biochemistry when it hits you. It'll look like you're learning pathways like Krebs cycle or signal cascades.

Haha. I hope medical schools I'm applying to (specifically NYMC) will see it that way and let me be in the clear.

You can listen to the person who tell you what you want to hear, or the person who's in an smp right now. It's up to you. But yes, if your question is "will medical school biochem count as a pre-req for medical school biochem?" the answer is yes.

At my school we do indeed learn about protein folding and some "biophysical-dependent processes", specifically the bolded statement. Is actually relevant for boards? I am not sure. You will most definitely realize you are doing biochemistry

Haha. I hope medical schools I'm applying to (specifically NYMC) will see it that way and let me be in the clear.
NYMC wouldn't consider my application this year because I had reference letters from mathematical biologists. Because the courses that I had taken with them were math courses and NYMC doesn't really consider mathematical neuroscience to be a science, they wouldn't consider my application complete. Don't expect them to do what YOU think is reasonable.

At Cincinnati, the curriculum is integrated, so there is no biochemistry course that you take. There is a lot of biochemistry covered in Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine, but I don't know whether NYMC would accept it. You'd have to call them and see.

We learn a lot of anatomy, for example, but Ohio State doesn't accept the courses we've taken as covering their anatomy requirement.

I think I'll bow out of this thread now before I'm right too many times.;)

Reactions: 1 user
NYMC wouldn't consider my application this year because I had reference letters from mathematical biologists. Because the courses that I had taken with them were math courses and NYMC doesn't really consider mathematical neuroscience to be a science, they wouldn't consider my application complete. Don't expect them to do what YOU think is reasonable.

At Cincinnati, the curriculum is integrated, so there is no biochemistry course that you take. There is a lot of biochemistry covered in Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine, but I don't know whether NYMC would accept it. You'd have to call them and see.

We learn a lot of anatomy, for example, but Ohio State doesn't accept the courses we've taken as covering their anatomy requirement.
Hi GorgeousBorges, are you in the Cincinnati SMP now? If so, can you comment on what you like/don't like about the program. I'm trying to decided between Cincinnati, Georgetown and BU MAMS. Thanks!

Hey folks. I've received feedback from 2 schools that I previously marked off my list who say that taking med school integrated classes (in the way described) is an acceptable substitute for their biochem requirement. If you have a compelling case, always call/e-mail the schools...