Biochemistry Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After taking several years off after completing my prereqs, I discovered that many schools either require or strongly recommend a Biochemistry course. Well, it can be quite difficult to find one when you're not in college anymore. Community colleges don't offer it (at least not here), and other universities often have a lab component which I just don't have time for.

Well, I finally found a course through UC Berkeley Extension called X105 Introductory Biochemistry. It's a 3 unit at home course, and then I take proctored final exam. I thought the final had to be taken at Berkeley but as I look through the course notes it seems as though you can take it elsewhere if you don't live in the area. Anyway, I just thought I'd bring it to people's attention in case they are needing a Biochem class for Mayo, Mich, Irvine, USC, etc... or if they just want to learn some Biochem before med school. At first glance the course doesn't look all that advanced or great, but at least it will satisfy my requirement.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Thought I'd bump this back up...

Duke "strongly recommends" a biochemistry course, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
lola, thanks! Also, do most of these schools require a lab along w/ it? Do you know if the same home course will be offered in the spring? I'm going to wait til then to take it depending on how the app process pans out.

as far as i can tell (from msar) none of the schools require lab.
you have a year from the time you sign up to complete the course. you can go faster than that if you'd like. i'm planning on doing most of it next semester.

Which schools require biochem? I know many prefer it, and some will take biochem in place of the second semester of organic, but I never knew some schools required it.

usc, irvine, michigan, mayo, florida (just looked that one up -- it requires a lab), ....??