1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Biochemistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by EVN3331, Nov 6, 2002.

1. EVN3331

EVN3331 Member

I noticed that some schools require upper level courses such as biochemistry along with the regular requirements. So if a school requires biochemistry, do you have to take it before you apply to dental school or can you take it senior year? Thanks a lot.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pumpkins90

pumpkins90 Member

I believe the requirment would be that you take it before starting dental school. You don't need to have taken it before the application process. There are a lot of schools that don't require biochem but i think more and more schools are going to make you take it in the future.

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    pumpkins is correct! In fact, there aren't any class requirements for application to dental school, only requirements for matriculation.

I'm in the midst of biochemistry right now, and have an exam on Wednesday. For this exam, I have to memorize:
    • glycolysis
    • citric acid cycle
    • gluconeogenesis
    • glycogenesis
    • glycogenolysis
    • the pentose-phosphate pathway
    • electron transport chain
    • catabolism of glycerol
    • transport of Acyl CoA
    • beta-oxidation of fatty acids
    • biosynthesis of fatty acids
    • acetyl group shuttle reactions
    • and the biosynthesis of Phosphatidate

Each of these reactions, with their enzymes/coenzymes, structures, and energy requirements must be memorized.

Biochem is extremely interesting, but it is pointless to memorize this stuff since it can easily be found in a book. My only happiness at this point is in the fact that I'll have to take biochem again in dental school, and that my undergrad bio chem course is said to be extremely more difficult than med. school biochem courses. We shall see!

5. EVN3331

EVN3331 Member

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. Oh and Gavin that looks like fun, good luck on your test!

6. s.mutans

s.mutans Senior Member

Good luck. So you are having midterms right now!!!!
    I agree. Some of the stuff is pointless. I think I can still draw all the twenty amino acids from memory with their relative charges depending on what solution their in. BUt it was really fun. Really interesting!!

Some Dental schools allow you to take a pre-test on Biochem. If you pass you can opt out of the class and keep you score from the test.

Best regards to your family! I am bringing my wife and child to NOVA for vacation/ interview!!!

7. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Just had to gloat about my score: 91%!

The class average was a 44%, and the mean was a 39%.

It's about time I set the curve on something! :D

By the way, all of those pathways have now intentionally been forgotten -- I need that brain space for more important stuff ;). Don't you all love the post-test brain dump?