biochemistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hudsontc, Nov 8, 2002.

1. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending

For those of you who have taken biochemistry and the MCAT, I covet your replies. Here's the deal.
    I'm slated to take the April 2003 MCAT. As a result, I want to take a relatively light class load so I can have ample time to study for that. Will taking organic II and biochemistry concurrently be too much? If I go with taking biochemistry, I'll have 12 credits that semester....if I take a few general education classes instead....I'll have 14. Furthermore, will having taken biochemistry help me on the MCAT or will it be a disadvantage? I've heard both opinions but no reasoning behind them. I appreciate the input any of you might have. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. siempre595

I think orgo 2 and biochem together is a pretty tough load. It depends a lot on your school though and what the reputation of each of those classes is there. I do think biochem helped me a ton for the mcat, but i had a pretty poor bio background in that material before biochem (i.e. no clue what glycolysis hardly was). The course tends to go much farther in depth than you'll ever need for the mcat, but I still think it's worth it. I'd be careful putting it with orgo 2 though. You'll have to be ready to work, a lot.

4. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

You don't need to take the biochem for the MCAT, anything you would need to know would come in review guides anyway. Biochem has material that is way more complicated than what is on the MCAT.

If you are taking the April MCAT, I would definitely advise taking a lighter work load. I cant tell you this from personal experience since I took it the August before my junior year, but others have told me that taking too many sciences/lab courses really adversely affects your MCAT.

5. Street Philosopher

I think organic II and biochem together is overkill. But if you think you can handle it, then go ahead. (I was a humanities major so my idea of overkill is probably different than many people's). Organic is of course part of the MCAT, so you should definitely take that. Biochem is part of the MCAT too sort of, but you don't necessarily need to have a background in biochem to solve the problems. It would help, but I don't think it would help that much, at least not to the extent that you should overload your coursework.

6. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending

If I take biochemistry....virtually the only other class I will have is organic II. I will be taking another 3 credit class that requires only a negligible amount of time... simply to maintain my full-time student status.
    Does that still sound like overkill?

7. Street Philosopher

I'm not sure because I was on a quarter system, but all I know is that I studied A LOT for orgo2 and biochem. You should ask someone at your school if you can.

8. nupedogg03

nupedogg03 Junior Member

If you're planning on taking a review course such as Kaplan or Princeton Review in the spring, you really won't need Biochem, since you'll learn what you need to know about it from the review course. I think your time might be better spent learning the second half of Orgo material well, though with the new emphasis on genetics over Orgo, who knows? :)

9. MUN2005

MUN2005 Miner?

Biochem and Organic II overkill? Am I missing something here? Canadian schools run differently than American schools? Next semester (soph2) I have a 'lighter' course load consisting of organic II, biochem I, Molec. Bio, and Biochem food science and an elective...all with labs. This is a normal course load at my school. Do you people take more than 3 courses a term? Taking any less than 5 here is looked upon as being a 'slacker' at our local medical school. What's the deal?

10. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

Most people take 4 or 5 courses in the US (16 to 20 hours), and 2/2 or 3/2 science/liberal arts courses. We have a LOT more leeway in the United States on taking courses, and the above stats I gave you probably only hold like 50% of the time. We can major in other subjects and still get into medical school, while it sounds like only science majors get into medical school in canada. In the US the science is taught at medical school anyway, so no need to overkill on it unless you are interested in it already.

Also we do not take "food science with lab". We have lunch instead.

11. Street Philosopher

:cool:

12. latinfridley

Just to represent American college students, here is my course load during the spring semester that i'll be taking MCAT:
    Vertebrate Phys. upper div, physics: e & m, physics lab, digital logic design, theory in programming practice, physical anthropology. In addition, taking the TPR course ( 2.5 hrs day, 3 days/week), working 20 hours a week.

the jrod
    :cool:

13. MUN2005

MUN2005 Miner?

Originally posted by AegisZero
    Also we do not take "food science with lab" in the states. We call it lunch over here.

Oh ok, I just assumed that Human Nutrition was taught in the US, but I guess I was wrong! ;) Thanks for claryfing.

14. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1

that sounds like a tough load.......but taking o chem II and biochem will go along with what you are studying for the mcat.

they say biochem isn't required for the mcat......but I found that it would have helped.

but just so you know....i took the mcat without o chem II and biochem. i took them after the mcat....

i just had to learn everything while taking a review course.

15. Lebesgue

Lebesgue Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took biochem during the summer prior to the Aug MCAT and I think it helped a lot. (>30)

It shows you how your O-chem applies and gives you a good foundation for the bio section.

Only you know your load capability, but the course cant hurt your MCAT score.

Good luck! :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. jofrbr76

jofrbr76 Senior Member

I can't say whether you should take them TOGETHER or not, b/c at my school and as many have all ready said, O-chem 2 and biochem aren't easy.

However, i can say that i had 2 or 3 questions on my mcat where, had i not taken biochem, i wouldn't have known the right answer.
    (one was a VERY specific amino acid questions, ie. which one of these amino acids is the most lipophilic? something like that anyhow)

I would say if you can swing the credit load, take it. If you can't, not having biochem puts you at a disadvantage, but not much of one. (maybe 3 or 4 questions out of 77 on the bio section)

Good luck in april

Joe

18. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1

Resident [Any Field]
    it depends. I think biohem would help some for the MCAT but not a great deal. O chem II will be of help.

if you plan on taking them together, I would see what the course load is for the other 2 classes you plan on taking.

When I was studying last year I was taking biology II with a workshop and lab which was 6 hours, mollecular and cell biology with workshop 4 hours, and a gender and work sociology class for 3 hours. (I think that is it).

It kept me very busy, but in a way it was a good thing. It kept me driven and studying when I sometimes have a dropoff during the semester. I got my highest gpa that semester.

19. carmell1981

carmell1981 Junior Member

i think it might be a little too much, but it depends on what kind of student you are.
    I would recommend taking physiology instead of biochem to prep for MCAT.

20. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending

I want to clarify....I don't want to take biochemistry to prepare for the MCAT. I would gladly take another easier course...if it was four credits and I could use it to fill in the credit hours to make me a full-time student. My predicament lies in the fact that if I don't take biochem., I'll have to register for two other gen. ed. classes to maintain my course load status. In order to graduate on time, those classes would be like statistics and an economics course. Again, if I take biochem., I'll have 12 credits (with orgo. II and a cake 3 credit class). If I don't take biochem., I'll have statistics, orgo II, macroeconomics and the cake class....and that would put me at 14 credits. I'm just wondering which route will leave me the most time to study with my MCAT prep materials. Let me reiterate, I am not considering biochem for the purpose of increasing my MCAT score. I need the credits its worth...and I'll need it to graduate premed anyway. I've already taken physiology, microbiology...all that good stuff.