bioengineering majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyra

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any specific med schools that "favor" bioeng majors? Yeah, I know that med schools don't really look at majors, but are there any bioeng majors out there that felt like their major helped them to be accepted (i.e. the school factored in the intensity of the course load). ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by pyra:
•Does anyone know if there are any specific med schools that "favor" bioeng majors? Yeah, I know that med schools don't really look at majors, but are there any bioeng majors out there that felt like their major helped them to be accepted (i.e. the school factored in the intensity of the course load). ;)

Schools in general will look favorably upon engineers if they have good grades & scores. They are well aware that you have a tough course load. However, you also have to make sure that you come across as having humanitarian qualities too and that you're not just a super-techie.

In my experience, being a biomedical engineering major helped me in the application process. Essentially it helped me stand out from the rest of the majors out there. Med schools do know the rigors of an engineering curriculum, and they will appreciate your accomplishment especially if you've done well.
In addition, you should also be able to articulate why you chose to study bioengineering or biomedical engineering during your interviews because more often than not, they will ask you about it. Hopefully you have had some research experience in the field as well -- that is always a plus.
Keep in mind, however, that med schools do indeed want to see your humanitarian side. They want to see that you've investigated the medical career by getting exposure to medical environments by volunteering in a clinic or shadowing a doctor.
All in all, though, being successful in a biomedical engineering program shows that you have the analytical capability of being a doctor, and it will only help you. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
BME is really big at my school (I even started out in it) so I have heard a lot about this issue. If you look at the latest MSAR they list acceptance rates for various ugrad majors, BME is far and away the best with a 65% acceptance rate, (2nd was philosophy with about 60%). So BME is definately gonna help you, I would imagine it would be looked on more favorable by large, research oriented med schools. I'm not sure if a smaller, primary care focused school would like engineers as much (this is based soley on stereotypes, in which engineer and clinician don't mesh well). good luck!

BME is really that high?

Wow. I'm not a BME since my school doesnt offer it (I'm EE/CE) but I always thought it was the interdisciplinary studies majors who always had the best admission percentages.

That being said, I love the principles of BME (done lots of research thats BME related) and hope to get into an MD/PhD program that offers engineering. The combo of engineering and medicine is absolutely intoxicating to me.

Interesting post. I'm just wondering how it would look if a Biochemistry major, were try for an MS in Biomed Engineering prior to applying to medical school. Assuming the GPA in the 3's, and an MCAT average of say 9+. And ofcourse all the other bells and whistles of volunteering and letters of rec. What do you guys think?

I have the opportunity to pursue this either just as a grad student or even apply as MD/MS at my school for that program. Professor for the Biomed dept say's he can get me in for the grad program. Wondering if any of this has any benefits towards med admissions.(specifically at my school :))