Biological Science Major Vs. Public Health Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colorific

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be matriculating into UC Irvine in Fall '08 as an entering freshman. Would it be more advisable to major in Public Health rather than Biological Science and vice versa? The ultimate goal, of course, is receiving an acceptance to dental school. Could any UC Irvine students shed some light on this subject?

Members don't see this ad.

hello fellow anteater...i would juss pick biosci if i were u because after taking the prereq classes for dental skool...u're 80% towards a biosci degree.

Major doesn't matter. If you have enough drive to get into dental school, you could be any major and still get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
OoOoOoOo freshman. haha jk. Congrats on getting in though. I'm a currently a Biological Science Major at UC Irvine. I have friends who are Public Health Majors and to be honest its not very different. I would go with Biological Science. Good luck and stay focused. Seems like half the school starts of as Bio, then they start dropping like flies. Its pretty competitive here so work hard. Trust me by your 4th year you see the same people allllll the time. haha. PM me if you have any more questions. And stay away from Arassingham for G-Chem!

I recommend biological sci as well, and then haul ass. Make sure to take key classes, such as anatomy, histology, biochem, cell biology, and physiology. Definite pluses are neuroanatomy, immunology, developmental biology (or embryology). Good luck!

As long as you get your pre-reqs done, you really can major in anything you want. If you're dead set on dental school, then you can major in history even and everything'll be okay (except you'll write a crap load of papers).

If you have trouble with your prereqs, then it's not a bad idea to major in a hard science, so you'll have upper div courses to boost your science gpa. But if you think you'll be money on your pre-reqs, then you can do anything without having to look back.

Foremost though is to pick something you're interested in.

I would say if you can finish all the pre-reqs on time and even add a few advanced bio courses like biochem, anatomy, etc, then major in public health. Public health offers you more perspectives on health-related issues which allow you to talk about on your personal statement and interviews. You might also get more opportunities to participate in department sponsored internship/outreach programs.

Just my two cents.

I'm finishing up my second year at UCI and I'm majoring in bio sci. I think you should major in bio unless you really like public health. you can take a lot of upper division classes that will be helpful for dental school as a bio major because you finish a lot of the pre reqs. if you have any questions about bio classes at uci just message me!