cerno

Crave Case
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I understand majors are really not a significant factor in admission considerations. Now, even though knowing this should theoretically answer my question...does majoring in a biological science put an applicant at even a slight disadvantage? I.E. Would one need to "stick out" more than a physical science major or non-science major, and does anyone have any statistics to corroborate this?

I also do want to mention that I am quickly approaching the time where I need to commit to a major, and am deciding between a physical and biological science. Interest in coursework among other facets have already been weighed equal, so this is the last remaining factor for me.

About the Ads
Jun 5, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Let me expand a bit more, I don't think you should focus on admissions stats by major. I think you should look at your school in particular and see which major would give you a better experience in research (independent research, chance of publication or at least a poster and/or presentations at a national conference). I also might take some heat for this, but I would also take which major you'd be able to score higher gpa wise into account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renaissance Man

Saving the World
10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
East Coast
Status
Attending Physician
I understand majors are really not a significant factor in admission considerations. Now, even though knowing this should theoretically answer my question...does majoring in a biological science put an applicant at even a slight disadvantage? I.E. Would one need to "stick out" more than a physical science major or non-science major, and does anyone have any statistics to corroborate this?

I also do want to mention that I am quickly approaching the time where I need to commit to a major, and am deciding between a physical and biological science. Interest in coursework among other facets have already been weighed equal, so this is the last remaining factor for me.
This isn't a factor. If you are truly making a decision based upon the slightest of factors in future medical school admissions you might as well flip a coin.

About the Ads