cerno

Crave Case
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I understand majors are really not a significant factor in admission considerations. Now, even though knowing this should theoretically answer my question...does majoring in a biological science put an applicant at even a slight disadvantage? I.E. Would one need to "stick out" more than a physical science major or non-science major, and does anyone have any statistics to corroborate this?

I also do want to mention that I am quickly approaching the time where I need to commit to a major, and am deciding between a physical and biological science. Interest in coursework among other facets have already been weighed equal, so this is the last remaining factor for me.

Jun 5, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I really doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PreMedOrDead

I'm sure you'll get in...
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2012
A dark, dark cave
Status

Jun 5, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Let me expand a bit more, I don't think you should focus on admissions stats by major. I think you should look at your school in particular and see which major would give you a better experience in research (independent research, chance of publication or at least a poster and/or presentations at a national conference). I also might take some heat for this, but I would also take which major you'd be able to score higher gpa wise into account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renaissance Man

Saving the World
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
East Coast
Status
Attending Physician
I understand majors are really not a significant factor in admission considerations. Now, even though knowing this should theoretically answer my question...does majoring in a biological science put an applicant at even a slight disadvantage? I.E. Would one need to "stick out" more than a physical science major or non-science major, and does anyone have any statistics to corroborate this?

I also do want to mention that I am quickly approaching the time where I need to commit to a major, and am deciding between a physical and biological science. Interest in coursework among other facets have already been weighed equal, so this is the last remaining factor for me.
This isn't a factor. If you are truly making a decision based upon the slightest of factors in future medical school admissions you might as well flip a coin.