Biological sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmwannab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After having been studying biology for the past few weeks, I realized just how much freakin information there is. There's just way too much to actually memorize it all. Are there certain concepts or is there information I should be focusing on that seem to appear on the MCAT pretty consistently? I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed right now. Any advice, tips, etc. is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmwannab said:
After having been studying biology for the past few weeks, I realized just how much freakin information there is. There's just way too much to actually memorize it all. Are there certain concepts or is there information I should be focusing on that seem to appear on the MCAT pretty consistently? I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed right now. Any advice, tips, etc. is appreciated. Thanks.

You should get your hands on Examkrackers Bio, its incredibly straightforward/condensed and they won't waste your time on anything you don't specifically need to know (they provide background info for better understanding, but they'll give you a heads up when its something you don't need to memorize or pay much attention to). Hopefully you can find it a library or borrow from a friend b/c due to some stellar timing they're pretty much backordered everywhere. Also AAMC website has a clearly delineated list of topics covered on the MCAT -don't know if you've seen it yet -
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/topics.pdf
g'luck!

Pharmwannab said:

just memorize all.

it's not alot. you need all, although not all gonna show up on the test.

just my opinion but i'd say exam crackers bio is harder to read than kaplan and while it's contained in fewer chapters, its got more detail so if its detail you are running from and not comprehensiveness EK might not be your best bet. kaplan's is more spaced out and in the end seems like much less detail. but in my opinion both are equally sufficient because i score the same thing with either. so it's not the prep course it's the actual memorization part.either way you go I think you are gonna have to memorize it all b/c that's basically the general point of biology, sorry friend.

just wanted to add that if you really really wanted something to focus on: id focus on the physiology part because you should be able to recall much of the basic cell stuff and physio seems to turn up like in 2/3rds of bio passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
EBI831 said:
just my opinion but i'd say exam crackers bio is harder to read than kaplan and while it's contained in fewer chapters, its got more detail so if its detail you are running from and not comprehensiveness EK might not be your best bet. kaplan's is more spaced out and in the end seems like much less detail. but in my opinion both are equally sufficient because i score the same thing with either. so it's not the prep course it's the actual memorization part.either way you go I think you are gonna have to memorize it all b/c that's basically the general point of biology, sorry friend.

just wanted to add that if you really really wanted something to focus on: id focus on the physiology part because you should be able to recall much of the basic cell stuff and physio seems to turn up like in 2/3rds of bio passages.

i agree i feel EK bio is really an overview, where they expect you know the details, thats why they can condence it so much. Luckely for me i have a masters in the stuff, but id feel overwhelmed if otherwise. I would suggest to read the book over a few times. That always worked for me when studying for undergrad bio exams

I like the EK bio review. Yes, it did take about a week to fully memorize, but I think it was worth it. Hopefully my real MCAT form in August will have more Bio then Orgo simply so that I don't feel like I wasted my time. Someone said there was an MCAT form in April with 80% Orgo.

WilliamsF1 said:
I like the EK bio review. Yes, it did take about a week to fully memorize, but I think it was worth it. Hopefully my real MCAT form in August will have more Bio then Orgo simply so that I don't feel like I wasted my time. Someone said there was an MCAT form in April with 80% Orgo.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe them.