Biology class for "non-biology" major...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sp00kyScuby

Um...what?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on the board for a long time and finally got around to start asking questions.

I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with this. I am trying to get set up to start working on my pre-reqs (I have a BS but have very little science courses) and the local CC only offers Biology for "non-biology" majors. Anyone know if this would hurt me when it comes to apply to Pharmacy School? (I assuming it would..but)

My only other option is to commute about an hour to and hour and a half (one way) to the next nearest school.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

What is the course called and how many credits is it?

I believe most if not all of the PharmD programs want you to take a sequence (8 credits) of lab-based bio. If your CC is unable to offer you this, you might consider doing all 8 credits at the out-of-town college. Usually one bio textbook will cover all 8 credits (especially if it's a CC course), and you may end up making a better grade with one professor to become accustomed to.

It's a year long sequence of biology + labs and is called Biology 104. 105 and 106 (No Intro or General etc...) and they are 4 credits each. (Trimester system). The only thing that puts up a flag is the fact that the description says "for non biology majors."

Members don't see this ad :)
Call the PharmD programs you'd like to eventually apply to. I've never seen this, but I know in uncertain situations it's always best to go directly to the source.

I'd be hesitant in taking the class because not all classes will transfer towards your prerequisite courses. A lot of those non major science courses don't go into detail and are usually intended for those interested in the teaching profession.

I doubt the class will count.