Biology Course Requirement Question(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCMike11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken General Biology 1 & 2 for science majors at my community college (as well as gen chem 1 & 2). Taking organic and physics sequence currently. Most schools (specifically for this instance Texas Tech) require the 8 hours of general biology and then 8 more additional for upper level biology classes. Decided I will take biochemistry 1 to suffice for 4 hours of this, any suggestions for other upper level? Genetics?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think most schools require 8 hours of upper level bio courses. None of the schools I looked at when applying required upper levels except for one school that required biochem.

But for Texas Tech and whatever other schools require that, genetics would be good. Physiology would also be a good course to take that would also prepare you for the MCAT. If you're taking the MCAT in 2015 or later, you might want to look into an introductory neuroscience course as well, as some neuro concepts seem to be listed in the topics for the new MCAT.

I don't think most schools require 8 hours of upper level bio courses. None of the schools I looked at when applying required upper levels except for one school that required biochem.

But for Texas Tech and whatever other schools require that, genetics would be good. Physiology would also be a good course to take that would also prepare you for the MCAT. If you're taking the MCAT in 2015 or later, you might want to look into an introductory neuroscience course as well, as some neuro concepts seem to be listed in the topics for the new MCAT.

I'm taking my MCAT August 2014 with all the "required/reccomended" -bio 1&2, organic & inorganic 1&2 and physics 1&2. I would've liked to of had the opportunity to have those classes before my MCAT but I hope i'm able to nail those concepts down with the SDN mcat study plan.

Tech explicitly states for the 8 hours upper level. An then TCOM states just 14 hours total of biology courses. So biochemistry at least. Did your human physiology class include bones/muscle memorization? I've taken Human A&P 1/2 for nursing ( I know they won't count). Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Genetics can be quite helpful on the MCAT, I would take it if I were you.

Genetics can be quite helpful on the MCAT, I would take it if I were you.

I totally get that, and I wish I could. Working fulltime + Organic Chem II + Physics II in the spring. If I added Genetics in there I think my other classes would suffer.

I totally get that, and I wish I could. Working fulltime + Organic Chem II + Physics II in the spring. If I added Genetics in there I think my other classes would suffer.

In that case, never mind. If I were you, I certainly would NOT try to take all those classes and work. Would be torture.

In that case, never mind. If I were you, I certainly would NOT try to take all those classes and work. Would be torture.

Right now with Ochem I & Physics I I feel like I am in the right place in regards to time. I just took my first orgo exam (3 hrs---damn!) and feel like I did well, hopefully will get the grade on monday.

I work nights on teh weekends so I am fortunate on an average night I get 2-3 hours of study time.

Did your human physiology class include bones/muscle memorization?

No, my human phys class was pretty systems based - cardio, respiratory, renal, GI, neuro, etc. There wasn't an anatomy component besides obviously knowing the basic anatomy of the heart/kidney/intestines/etc.

No, my human phys class was pretty systems based - cardio, respiratory, renal, GI, neuro, etc. There wasn't an anatomy component besides obviously knowing the basic anatomy of the heart/kidney/intestines/etc.

Yeah I wasn't thinking, stupid question. The A&P's I took were integrated for health professionals.

Yeah I wasn't thinking, stupid question. The A&P's I took were integrated for health professionals.

My anatomy courses were both. Systems for AP 1 and muscles/bone/brain structure memorization for AP 2. It was torture.

All depends on the individual school; see if you can find a course catalog with class descriptions for the school you go to.

No it's not because it was a health professionals course; it's because anatomy and physiology are different.

- Physiology is more of understanding the mechanics of the human body and why it functions the way it does. There is little actual memorization and more understanding and thinking.

- Anatomy is knowing where everything is and what the name of everything is. THIS is basically memorization of all the body parts.

Ismet took an actual physiology course, not this silly combined A&P business.

No it's not because it was a health professionals course; it's because anatomy and physiology are different.

- Physiology is more of understanding the mechanics of the human body and why it functions the way it does. There is little actual memorization and more understanding and thinking.

- Anatomy is knowing where everything is and what the name of everything is. THIS is basically memorization of all the body parts.

Ismet took an actual physiology course, not this silly combined A&P business.

I understand they are different. I wasn't thinking clearly asking him if there was an anatomy component considering that answer if given considering the name of the class. I wouldn't call it "silly" really. I do definitely understand the Human A&P courses I took to get into RN school are on a lower degree of difficulty when comparing them to upper level coursework for sciences majors.

I understand they are different. I wasn't thinking clearly asking him if there was an anatomy component considering that answer if given considering the name of the class. I wouldn't call it "silly" really. I do definitely understand the Human A&P courses I took to get into RN school are on a lower degree of difficulty when comparing them to upper level coursework for sciences majors.

No, it has nothing to do with RN. I just call them silly because it's difficult to actually get into reasonable depth in either subject if it is combined, at least in undergrad.

The course should be dedicated to either or. Especially Physiology. The Physiology class I took had basically zero anatomy and we were still pressured on time and didn't get to cover everything.