Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Biology credits

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dayfed, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Dayfed

Pre-Medical
    Hello, I'm a freshman at University of Minnesota, Neuroscience major. I am just wondering about what exactly would demonstrate 2 semesters of Biology. Here at the U, biol 1009 includes both semesters into one. After this, students take zoology/physiology and then microbiology/botany. My question is does Zoology truly count as a 2nd semester of Biology. I have searched the forums and there have been discussions about this. My question is basically what would be in my best interest of taking next semester.

My plan is to take Zoology, along with Physics, Organic Chem, and a Psych class for my minor.

My other option is to take Physiology, which I think I love, but with Physics and OChem already on my plate, I doubt I would have enough time to fully enjoy/do well in it. Plus I can always take it later.

Does this sound like the right way to go?

Also, I know that many people take Physics and OChem together. Has this been a challenge for you? Were you able to keep your grades up? I did enjoy Calculus, even Calc 2, and I have taken Physics in High school, so I think Physics shouldn't be too bad. A lot of people dread Organic, but I've heard others really enjoy it.

What are your takes?

Thanks!
    Dave

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dayfed

Pre-Medical
    could anyone help me out please?

4. ssquared

ssquared Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Are you nuts? You're still a freshman! Calm down! It'll be ok!

Take what you want, and get some of your required gen eds out of the way, and work on your study skills. Go ahead and take orgo sophomore year, and physics junior year. There's no reason to cram them together. That's just asking for disaster (because if you get sick/family tragedy strikes, you'll have screwed up HALF of your pre-reqs, not just one).

5. Droopy Snoopy

Resident [Any Field]
    Physics shouldn't be too bad if you've already had the basics, and yes it's pretty common to take Phy and OChem at the same time. Do physio instead of Zoo; they're probably pretty equal as far as time committment. If the psych class is a sop (as most are) this should work well enough. If not then don't hesitate to drop something. Organic is not fun for premeds, but those who do well sometimes convince themselves it was. You'll have had Gen Chem by then yes? Need it at the university level, don't care if you've got AP credits out the ***.

6. KCT15

Pre-Medical
    I would be sure to check with an advisor on the biology classes because I took 2 Anatomy & Physiology and for some schools neither of them counted as biology credits because some schools the requirement is 1 yr of GENERAL biology. I would just be sure to check.

7. trevagandalf

Medical Student
    Ask your pre-med advisor, he should have a list of the courses you have to take to meet the requirements. It's weird because in my school, we had to take 3 semesters to meet the requirement.

8. variablistic

Medical Student
    Sophomore Year:
    Take O-chem (if you've done your gen chem)
    Take your general bio if you haven't yet
    Take your psych course
    Random elective, don't make it too hard.

Junior Year:
    Physics
    Biochem if the schools you want to attend require it
    Another neurosci course?
    elective?

You'll be taking the MCAT at the end of your junior year, I found having physics that same year was amazingly helpful, I was trying to help someone with a physics section recently, and I didn't remember a thing. (I took the April MCAT last year.) Like someone above said, don't double up on two major prereqs. Go find your premed advisor, they should be helpful.

9. Dayfed

Pre-Medical
    thanks for all of the suggestions everybody. I still think that I will take Physics and OChem together. It just seems like it will fit better for me, rather than taking my core Neurosci course, biochem, and physics in one semester. I'm still debating Physiology or Zoology. I talked to my pre-med advisor, and for the U of M med school, they will take either, but for the MCAT it may be better to take Physiology. I think I would enjoy Physiology much more than Zoology. But is it realistic to take it with Physics and OChem? I'm sure it will all run its course. Thanks for the help!

10. ssquared

ssquared Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Physiology, when taught right, is a difficult course with a lot of memorization. Organic chem requires lots of memorization as well. Zoology requires memorization, too. Physics has a lot more understanding associated with it than pure memorization. I would only take two of the three together: physics, orgo, bio. If you're really gung-ho about it, go ahead, but you might have a lot of friday and sat nights spent in the library. I took physics, biochemistry, and two upper level biology courses in the same semester, and it was rough. I wouldn't want people to repeat that mistake!

11. Dayfed

Pre-Medical
    thanks for the info. I'm taking your advise. I'm going to just take Physics1, Organic 1, Psych Data class, and a humanity class, and just wait and take physiology later. I think I'm much more interested in Physiology, but I don't want to put too much wait on me, especially since I am transferring to a new, bigger campus. I'll find my niche and then dig in deep in the spring, though it's still going to be enough with Physics and Organic.

Oh, this is just on the side but what would constitute a comparitive studies class? A med school i'm looking at is asking to have it as a possibility as a liberal ed. Would this be considered in the department of Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature?

oh, I'm just full of questions haha. Thanks for all the help though, I do appreciate this.

and by the way, sorry if I came off a bit nerveracking, I don't mean to be this way. I'm just letting things go with the flow, but I do want to not have anything holding me back as I move up the ladder of college.