Biology for non-science majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stereo

Electron Vampire (MS0)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything. I decided that I want to apply to medical school pretty late, and by that time I had already taken the two biology courses for required for non-science majors (I'm a psychology major). I got A's in both, and that allows me to move on to upper division biology courses at my university.

My premed adviser said that as long as I have the required amount of biology courses, it doesn't matter that I did not take the intro courses for science majors. I'm planning on taking genetics, microbiology, immunology, and vertebrate physiology in the biology department.

I was really happy when I heard that I don't have to retake the intro courses, but I have seen a post or two on these forums that specifically says that the intro courses for science majors are required, and I just want to make sure my adviser gave me the correct info.

I go to a university in Texas and plan on applying mainly to Texas schools. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, many medical schools require a year of general biology + laboratory. Some schools do require your biological sciences prerequisite classes to be for science majors. However, some medical schools are more general with their requirements in the biological sciences. It is best to check with the medical schools in which you are interested in applying to find out their specific requirements; they are, of course, the final authority in terms of applying to their school. You can contact the medical schools directly and/or check their individual website for further details. For example, you can find out UT Southwestern Medical School's requirements here, UT Houston's Medical School here, and UT San Antonia's Medical School here.

Again, requirements may vary by school, so if you are in doubt, contact the medical schools directly for a definitive answer. That's my recommendation. Good luck.

Be careful. If the schools require a year of General Biology, that might mean the course for science majors. For example, at my undergrad, the course for science majors is called "General Biology," while the course for nonscience majors is called "Intro to Biology." Like the poster above me said, I'd check with the schools you're interested in just to be sure. On the other hand, if the schools in question only want one year of any Biology, you should be fine, especially since you're taking some upper division courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like none of the schools you linked to specify that the intro classes must be taken. I guess it's assumed that you've taken them, though. I will just email the schools and ask them directly. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like none of the schools you linked to specify that the intro classes must be taken. I guess it's assumed that you've taken them, though. I will just email the schools and ask them directly. Thanks again for your help.

Good idea. You're welcome. Good luck with your process. :luck: