1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Biology IN medical school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by stat3113, Feb 25, 2007.

1. stat3113

2+ Year Member

I haven't taken a Biology course in 5 years (it was AP Bio in high school) and I just took a sample MCAT and was blown away. Not only did I not know any of it, it seemed really painful to me to have to learn that. I was really NOT interested in it at all.

How does the biology that is tested on the MCAT compare to the biology you learn in med school? If I don't like it now, will I not like it in med school either?

2. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is no biology in med school. Some topics touched on in bio related subjects (physio, genetics, biochem) will be covered. For the most part, the prereqs are just hurdles to get into med school, not actually courses that will be applicable there.

3. umza

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So you wish to study medicine but have an aversion to biology?
    which part of biology is aversive to you? As a fourth year student,
    just wrapping things up, I agree with previous post that there is no real
    biology course. However, the themes from biology are pervasive throughout medicine, (Understated). You must have a good understanding of cellular biology, the production of proteins, from DNA to extracellular and intracellular proteins. And in pathology courses, you need to have knowledge about the cells and how they form systems. Microbiology and infectious diseases. Biochemistry and many avenues in medicine. How about anatomy, embryology, physiology, or pharmacology? How about DNA, genetics. So, if these topics don't grab your attention, you will be very disinterested in your education. Good luck.

4. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No biology in med school?! I don't know what med school you go to but that's ALL we study at our med school----micro, physio, CMB etc. Heck, my parents are biologists and they don't even learn as much in breadth as I am learning in my classes (but what they do do overlap with what I'm learning since they're in medical research).

Biology is a study of life and that's all we study in med school. Most of the stuff that we learn in prereqs are the foundation from which we learn the rest of the science courses in med school. Things like calcium channels, genetic inheritance etc are not going to be covered in detail in med school but will play a significant role in our understanding of the topics we do cover in med school.

If you don't like freshmen bio, you may like the stuff in med school. And yes, there is a ton of biology courses at med school. From cellular to tissue to organ systems. If you find yourself bored with freshmen bio, try taking a few more more interesting ones like physiology or genetics (which is highly recommended for the MCAT anyway) that may give you a better idea of the stuff you'll be learning in med school.

5. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No one expects you to be a bio major and take upper level bio courses but you have to at least know the superficial level of biology that's intro courses and that's tested on the MCAT.

6. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not true... my school assumes you know NOTHING. Granted they do cover some basic topics a little fast.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    If you are studying properly, either everything will look like "biology" or nothing will. It is an amalgam of topics about the human body, but it is not taught the same way that undergrad biology was IMO.

8. Hurricane95

Hurricane95 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    While there is no course titled "biology" in medical school, I assure you the science of biology is everywhere, in every single course you take: from biochemistry, to genetics, to immunology, to histology and anatomy, to pharmacology, to neuroscience....it's all over the place. It's applied biology though, so it's not as dry as intro level bio in undergrad, but basic biology lays the foundation you need for your medical school courses.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...