Biology Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohgodidonteven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical scenario: Say I was a biology major. And I didn't want to do research or get a PhD. What kind of job would I be expecting?

Members don't see this ad.

Hypothetical scenario: Say I was a biology major. And I didn't want to do research or get a PhD. What kind of job would I be expecting?

Ummm....high school bio teacher?

The fact is, most people probably end up doing something that is irrelevant to what they majored in college.

Lab work. Teaching. Work for government. But the above poster is correct. I teach subjects that are all out of the scope of what I majored in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
professional sperm doner? although i don't think what degree you have will really matter for that one haha

The fact is, most people probably end up doing something that is irrelevant to what they majored in college.

:thumbup:
The fact is that a bachelors in anything except engineering is arguable what a high school degree 10 years ago.

:thumbup:
The fact is that a bachelors in anything except engineering is arguable what a high school degree 10 years ago.

Eh... a bachelors in theater will prepare you more for a performing arts job, and a bachelors in secondary education will prepare you fairly well for a job as a teacher (though I think most have to get a masters at some point now anyway).

But yeah, any liberal arts degree is pretty non-specific.

Eh... a bachelors in theater will prepare you more for a performing arts job, and a bachelors in secondary education will prepare you fairly well for a job as a teacher (though I think most have to get a masters at some point now anyway).

But yeah, any liberal arts degree is pretty non-specific.

Not to mention even if its specific you'll have trouble getting a job without experience of a masters.

You could always apply your knowledge of biology and start a pest control business or start a farm, I guess?

Biotechnology: Biologists apply scientific principles to develop and enhance products, tools, and technological advances in fields such as agriculture, food science, and medicine.
Forensic science: Forensic biologists work with police departments and other law enforcement agencies using scientific methods to discover and process evidence that can be used to solve crimes.
Politics and policy: Science advisors work with lawmakers to create new legislation on topics such as biomedical research and environmental protection. Their input is essential, ensuring that decisions are based upon solid science.
Business and industry: Biologists work with drug companies and providers of scientific products and services to research and test new products. They also work in sales, marketing, and public relations positions.
Economics: Trained professionals work with the government and other organizations to study and address the economic impacts of biological issues, such as species extinctions, forest protection, and environmental pollution.
Mathematics: Biologists in fields such as bioinformatics and computational biology apply mathematical techniques to solve biological problems, such as modeling ecosystem processes and gene sequencing.
Science writing and communication: Journalists and writers with a science background inform the general public about relevant and emerging biological issues.
Art: All the illustrations in your biology textbook, as well as in newspaper and magazine science articles, were created by talented artists with a thorough understanding of biology.
Colleges and universities: Professors and lecturers teach introductory and advanced biology courses. They may also mentor students with projects and direct research programs.
Primary and secondary schools: Teaching younger students requires a general knowledge of science and skill at working with different kinds of learners. High school teachers often specialize in biology and teach other courses of personal interest.
Science museums, zoos, aquariums, parks, and nature centers: Educators in these settings may design exhibits and educational programs, in addition to teaching special classes or leading tours and nature hikes.

google ftw

You'll probably end up doing scut in a lab, but I've heard that it's possible to swing a pharm rep job if you're good at selling yourself (and if you are, there's another career for that too...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just think... You can do a lot more than one of those people majoring in African American Studies, Woman and Gender Studies, and other pseudoscience majors that only results in grad school. Look at other healthcare related jobs such as PA, Nursing, and so on.

I think universities should put a statement like this on the application to their institutions. Maybe something like this;

"We know that you have been led to believe that your major will determine your future career. However, nothing is further from the truth. The simple fact is that unless you choose one of the approximately 5% of technical majors, you will be working at an unrelated occupation. As much as the public thinks of universities as technical schools, we are not."

Lab instructor at a community college.

EN

Um, I have never run in to an instructor with only an undergrad degree at my cc.

Last edited:
Just think... You can do a lot more than one of those people majoring in African American Studies, Woman and Gender Studies, and other pseudoscience majors that only results in grad school. Look at other healthcare related jobs such as PA, Nursing, and so on.

This really does not make any sense. You seem to be implying that a biology major has a better chance at PA or nursing school, which really isn't true.

BA in bio? Zoo keeper. BS in bio? Master Zoo keeper.

I think universities should put a statement like this on the application to their institutions. Maybe something like this;

"We know that you have been led to believe that your major will determine your future career. However, nothing is further from the truth. The simple fact is that unless you choose one of the approximately 5% of technical majors, you will be working at an unrelated occupation. As much as the public thinks of universities as technical schools, we are not."

Um, I have never run in to an instructor with only an undergrad degree at my cc.
I took Bio one class during high school at a cc and my lab instructor only had BS in biology, in fact if you check job listings at ccbcmd.edu they are still hiring biology lab instructors with minimum BS degrees.

EN

My major (Humanities-related, mind you) gave ONE job: "National Auto Parts Purchaser." Wtf? To make matters worse, 86% weren't employed. What a terrible major I chose for myself.

yikes :idea: but then again that's just stats from students graduating from Berkeley California, maybe your degree is on demand somewhere else? Plus keep that in mind as a motivator-- its either med school/doc or "national auto parts purchaser"

This question, like many "what can I do with___" questions, depends greatly on 1) your grades, 2) your ability to interview and sell yourself, and 3) your connections/experiences (not necessarily in this order).

With that said, there's better bangs for your buck out there if you don't want to move beyond a B.S. Biology majors often have hard times finding jobs without a graduate degree, because these days bio degrees are dime a dozen. And most of these jobs are research-intensive. Engineering, chemistry, computer science, and others are probably better options.